Talk

Advanced search

Question: Would you emigrate again? Regret or not?....discuss

(67 Posts)
chinwag Mon 27-Aug-07 08:19:59

It's something I have considered but don't think I could leave my family, and not sure the kids would cope.

I am interested to hear you views.

ozziewannabe Mon 27-Aug-07 08:21:37

We are going to do it! cant wait.

Have no trade so have to do a student visa in oz

arfishy Mon 27-Aug-07 08:24:17

I've lived overseas for the last 10 years. No regrets. Apart from maybe Dusseldorf angry

Anyway. No regrets, I've loved everywhere I've gone and DD has always come with me - most of the time on my own.

I'm now in Australia as I had to start to stop travelling when DD got to around 3. I have no intention of going back to the UK. Life here is better in so many ways. I'd also go back to live in Holland, Thailand, Italy - loads of places that aren't the UK.

Re family - yes, we are a long way away. I go back to vist, they come here and we have webcams and email. It's not great, but then again we didn't see much of each other anyway, so it wasn't a hard decision.

ghosty Mon 27-Aug-07 08:37:16

Emigrating has its downsides but for us the ups by far outweigh the downs ...
Honestly? No, I have no regrets. Yes, I feel sad to be half a planet away from my parents and my siblings and their children. But emigrating was the best thing we did for the future of our children.
I can't tell you how happy I am that I don't live somewhere where there are regular killings of children by children sad

chinwag Mon 27-Aug-07 08:44:14

Was it lonely at first for you all?

ernest Mon 27-Aug-07 08:52:45

I emigrated 7 years ago. I love where I live. I do not regret comng here. My problem atm is I want to stay, but circumstances are against me. Seriously, being in a foreign country does have fundamental problems, or at least potential problems. Do you have anywhere in mind? You seem to have grave doubts already, so possibly not a good sign. How old are your kids and how active is your social life/how close are you to friends and family?

ernest Mon 27-Aug-07 09:04:30

oh, and as for the Q, would I emigrate again, well my donkey of a dh has gone and got himself a job in italy, so as to doing it again, ie a second time, dunno, I think it's one of those things best doen once.

belgo Mon 27-Aug-07 09:11:47

chinwag - it depends where to. I've emigrated to Belgium - but I can hardly call if emigration because it's so close to the UK. ANyway it was hard at first what with the new language - but I certainly would never regret it.

belgo Mon 27-Aug-07 09:12:29

ernest - what's happening about the job? Are you staying in Switzerland?

ernest Mon 27-Aug-07 09:21:13

for now, yes. he goes in 2 months shock shock shock , then I become a single mum. Do not want to leave here. In a word - haven't a clue wink

plan is, he commutes for 6 months, then we see. in the mean time we visit Milan & get a feel for it and make decision later

expatinscotland Mon 27-Aug-07 09:23:05

Yes.

I did this when I was single and had no kids, but if the circumstances were right and DH and I were both in agreement, we would.

expatinscotland Mon 27-Aug-07 09:24:11

Doing it against your will, however, is never a good idea, IME.

ernest Mon 27-Aug-07 09:25:53

abso bloody lutey

ggglimpopo Mon 27-Aug-07 09:26:34

Yes, i did post divorce and would do the same again.

Bloody lonely at first and did seriously wonder if I was mad upping sticks with four kids and moving to france.

Could never live in the UK again.

expatinscotland Mon 27-Aug-07 09:28:20

You have to really want to go, because as ggg wisely pointed out, it's not easy no matter how good your circumstances are or how much you wanted it. So it's important to have a strong desire to be there.

I've lived in 9 countries, although some of these were when I was a child.

turquoise Mon 27-Aug-07 09:35:24

I didn't emigrate, but did live in the US for 2 1/2 years.

Was desperately lonely for at least 6 months (eventually discovered mumsnet, thank god!), missed friends and family beyond belief, found it very alien - but it was also one of the best, most enriching experiences of my life and I don't regret it for a moment.

I think it depends on numerous things - where you are thinking of going, how young your children are, and how dependant you are on friends/family/support network. My children were school age (just) and besides being a fantastic experience for them, it does open doors to meeting other mums. It would have been a wonderfully safe upbringing for them had we stayed, although ghettoised and unreal IMO.

All in all, the experience made me realise far more what I appreciate about England - my friends/family and the sense of humour - circumstances brought us home and I'm glad, but I have every intention of retiring to Sorrento eventually so it clearly hasn't put me off!

mylastrolo Mon 27-Aug-07 09:50:58

Has anyone emgrated to Canada? Uk for kids is looking pretty grim at the moment unless very wealthy. It keeps coming up in conversation. Would have to go on holiday or atleast 6 months before making mind up. An do alot of research. Always fancied it iykwim.

belgo Mon 27-Aug-07 09:51:46

my dh wants to move to Canada or Boston area of the US. I would prefer New Zealand.

expatinscotland Mon 27-Aug-07 09:51:54

There are quite a few Canadians on this board who might be able to help, my.

Bump.

arfishy Mon 27-Aug-07 21:46:56

I was never lonely - even though I spent months on my own in hotel rooms with baby DD. But then again I am a bit odd wink

I've learned so much about people and the world by travelling and living overseas. I'm a much better person for it.

You know - leaving doesn't have to be for ever. If you do choose to go, you can always come back.

Highlander Wed 29-Aug-07 19:52:39

we lived in B.C. for 2 years and we're looking to going back there permanently.

bcsnowpea Wed 29-Aug-07 20:02:38

I live in BC now, dh is a Canadian. I love it here, though I'm lucky to live in North Vancouver, which is a very family and activity oriented place. The suburbs sit at the base of the mountains, so on clear sunny days like today you can go for walks and stare up at the peaks. The best time is just at the beginning of summer, when it's warm down where you are, but you can still see snow glistening right at the top. Beautiful.
And I've also found the health system really good, lots of stuff available for mums and babies. I haven't spent much time outside of North Van, except for short camping trips, so I can't tell you about the rest of Canada.

SenoraPostrophe Wed 29-Aug-07 20:29:00

nope (would i emigrate again) and nope (any regrets). I emigrated 7 years ago to spain and then returned to uk in july. loved spain, love where I am now.

expatinscotland Wed 29-Aug-07 20:30:21

I always enjoyed Alberta. Didn't get to spend much time in B.C., but have heard good things about it.

mylastrolo Wed 29-Aug-07 20:40:07

bcsnowpea sounds lovely think we are seriously going to look into it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now