Talk

Advanced search

Budapest - tiny lift

(10 Posts)
Budhelp Tue 24-Jul-07 19:24:03

Dw (Hungarian) is moving out to Budapest to join me in 2 weeks with 2 dds (1 month and 20 months). Flat is lovely but on 4th floor and lift is tiny , too small for unfolded double buggy. Any advice on easily foldable double buggies or how to stop her feeling like a prisoner?

moondog Tue 24-Jul-07 19:26:10

Could you leave the buggy in the car?

It's hard whichever way you look at it.

I can't cope with lifts and when dh moved to Turkey ahead of me and the children (similar scenarion to yours) I stipulated first floor flat.Took him weeks,but he found one.

GreatGooglyMoogly Tue 24-Jul-07 19:32:31

I agree that the double buggy should stay downstairs. If it is too difficult to carry/ walk the children down to the double buggy then she could use a single buggy for the 20 month old and a sling for the 1 month old. HTH

LIZS Tue 24-Jul-07 19:48:09

Is there a communal storage room for bikes etc ? Do at least try it in the lift, we thought ours (a chunky Silver Cross and later a 3 wheeler) wouldn't fit but it did with room to spare.

Budhelp Tue 24-Jul-07 19:49:15

Thanks Moondog. Unfortunately Hungarian friends said that the nice ground floor flat I found was too much of a burglary risk...
GreatGooglyMoogly - you might be right. We do actually have a double Maclaren given to us by friends (so won't be the end of the world if it gets nicked when we leave it in the courtyard). But not sure what the trips up and down in the lift will be like

Budhelp Tue 24-Jul-07 19:53:16

LIZS - no unfortunately the bikes will be another problem, no such storage room. The lift really is small but I think a single buggy might fit...

Budababe Tue 24-Jul-07 23:46:25

Hi! Am in Budapest too! Where will you be living?

Budababe Tue 24-Jul-07 23:47:51

I know details of babygroups. Is your DW British? British Women's Association very friendly. Also International Women's Club.

alycat Tue 24-Jul-07 23:51:18

I agree on the ground floor flat/burglary issue, lost everything several times over before we moved up in the world...

I think The B. Sun has some good listings for groups, although if Budababe has some recs that would be better.

I'd go for the sling and single buggy too.

Budhelp Wed 25-Jul-07 11:19:09

Hi Budababe and alycat, good to hear from you. We're going to be in Pest, Csanady u, near the West End centre. Will check out the Budapest Sun for details of groups. We're actually quite close to the Pagony bookshop on Pozsonyi u. which I know does children's groups. Dw is Hungarian but might be interested in groups for foreigners...she's just more worried about getting out of the flat at all at the moment . More thoughts very welcome!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now