British students working in France over summer

(18 Posts)
Eliza1957 Wed 12-Jun-19 12:15:07

Hi everyone, we recently moved to the Jura (close to Lons le Saunier) with my husband for at least a few months a year (the rest still in Britain). Our son who is 20 and a student in the UK wants to come and work 1-2 months here. Social security (or someone! get lost with all the different agencies here) tell me he needs a social security number in France -but not how to get it....Does he really? Shouldn't his NI number be enough given that he is not a French resident but British?
Thanks for any thoughts on that

OP’s posts: |
Isthisafreename Wed 12-Jun-19 12:18:50

Of course he needs a French number. If he is working in a country, he needs to comply with tax etc requirements in that country. France does not have access to UK NI details in the same way the UK does not have access to French details.

Frenchfancy Fri 14-Jun-19 18:55:49

Anyone working in France needs a numéro de secu. You need to go through CPAM

Nlds Sat 15-Jun-19 06:38:22

You should also be considering applying for a carte De sejour.

Comply with the laws where you are staying.

Eliza1957 Sat 15-Jun-19 07:05:43

As a Brit we don't need a carte de sejour any more. And he is not living in France, just wanting a short summer job. But thanks for all your helpful comments!

OP’s posts: |
Eliza1957 Sat 15-Jun-19 07:07:25

Anybody living in the Jura by the way? Could be great to meet!

OP’s posts: |
Nlds Sat 15-Jun-19 09:49:58

As a Brit living in France, you'd be very well advised to have a carte de sejour.

I work in France, some of my colleagues live there too. Every single one of them has now applied for a carte de sejour, all the same departement. The ones who've kept their records up to date, such as filing empty tax returns every year, having a Carte Vitale with S1, keeping their rental agreements, their utility bills, they've been given permanent CdS and permanent residency status protected as much as possible post-Brexit. Those who've poorly kept records but had evidence of their residence were given initial CdS and are a bit cross (but their fault for not doing it over 5 years ago and not keeping records). Those who've kept no records have been turned away and told to start providing proof their live in France. So only those with the permanent residence established are feeling optimistic post Brexit.

Why would you not have a CdS if you live in France? Why would you not want to protect your rights to live in the EU? It's pure common sense.


Eliza1957 Sun 16-Jun-19 09:12:55

Hi, absolutely, I would of course for the reasons you give - but we are not French residents as we only spend less than 6 months here, on and off (we remain residents in the UK). If this changes, will apply for a carte de sejour - and as have Polish citizenship, will be able to even if the dreaded Brexit happens....

OP’s posts: |
Nlds Sun 16-Jun-19 18:16:40

You are allowed to apply for a cds so why don't you?

Eliza1957 Mon 17-Jun-19 07:19:59

My understanding is that only residents can apply for a cds - and we want to remain residents in the UK.

OP’s posts: |
Nlds Mon 17-Jun-19 07:43:36

You can b resident in 2 countries, I am and so are all my colleagues who live in France, also resident in UK.

BogstandardBelle Mon 17-Jun-19 07:54:18

Hi op

To obtain a sécu number your son will need to apply to his local CPAM. You can find the address on the website. I’ve attached the Cerfa form that he’d need to complete.

There are a number of catches though. If he doesn’t have regular paid employment (and a contract or payslip to prove it) and he doesn’t fall into one of the other “supported” categories listed on the form, he needs to prove that he’s been resident in France for at least 3 months to apply. You can provide this for him (if he’s staying with you) but tbh only being here for a couple of months is a problem - it can take up to 6-12 months to process the application!

To find the form and info do a search on :
Demande d'ouverture des droits
à l'assurance maladie

There’s a good FB group called Parents In France - that would be a good place to ask about the ins and outs of UK students working in France during the holidays.

Bon chance!

Eliza1957 Mon 17-Jun-19 08:10:32

Thanks to both. I can't get my head around it - what is the advantage of being a resident in both the UK and France if for tax purposes we want to remain resident in the UK - my husband is in his 80s, retired; and long history of heart problems so we think he may not be able to get health insurance in France unless prohibitively expensive. I may want to work here, but in 6 months or so - and anyway I would be able to claim French taxes in Britain, wouldn't I? Maybe we should talk to a lawyer....

OP’s posts: |
Gfplux Wed 19-Jun-19 19:30:46

Eliza 1957,
Have you applied for settled status in the UK.
If not you should investigate this ASAP.

Eliza1957 Fri 21-Jun-19 09:06:49

Hi, I AM British, so don't need settled status....

OP’s posts: |
Gfplux Fri 21-Jun-19 15:06:18

Sorry I got the wrong impression.
Were you asking which country is better to be tax resident.
If you are resident in Britain after Brexit you will have to look at the Schengen Visa if you want to stay in France for up to 90 days.
I know your original question was about your son (British citizen?) whatever the situation this summer it will all change after Brexit.
These are a few links explaining the Schengen visa for BRITS who will become third country nationals after Brexit.
Calculate your stays if you have a Schengen Visa.
This handy tool will help you.
Or this one
and this for background
All the EU visas

AuldAlliance Tue 25-Jun-19 14:04:18

The advantage of getting residents' status in France is that, if there is no deal Brexit, you'd have some right to remain in France for 6mths of each year. Otherwise, all bets are off. The word reciprocity has been used a lot and Oct 31st is looming.

clearsommespace Sat 29-Jun-19 14:19:40

I did what your son did when a student in the 90s. (I had no family in France.) My employer did the paperwork and I was attributed a French sécurité sociale number.
I think this is still the same.

L’attribution de votre numéro de sécurité sociale ne dépend pas de votre nationalité. Pour l'obtenir, il suffit d'être né en France, d'avoir un travail en France ou simplement d'y habiter de façon stable et régulière"

As your DS isn't French born or resident, it seems to me that the job must come first.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in