It's harder for women to be expats

(5 Posts)
Damntheman Mon 03-Jun-19 09:32:05

It hasn't been that hard for me as a female expat. I'm in Norway. But my experience is only mine and I can't speak for everyone else.

I'm so sorry you're having such an awful time, I would have thought Stockholm would be a great place to be!

citychick Thu 30-May-19 00:59:57

I'm in HK and TBH I don't have much sympathy for many of the expat ladies here...

Why would you move abroad to be worse off than in your home country? If married you'll get a dependant visa which is great. Many have staff - helper/ driver etc.

Of course many moan like there's no tomorrow. Shower themselves in handbags and clothes. Fabulous holidays around Asia for the time they are here...

Only once was I stopped in my thinking this way when an expat mum turned up for work with a black eye...

We don't know what goes on behind closed doors there's so much more going on beneath the veneer of a luxury handbag. But for many ladies I know...no, it's not that hard for them at all.

JoJoSM2 Mon 27-May-19 23:25:56

And London is so international that it's difficult to feel an outsider. It's probably a lot easier to feel like you don't fit in in other places.

soulrunner Mon 27-May-19 23:09:57

I think it’s harder for the trailing spouse and the majority of trailing spouses are women.

moumoute Mon 27-May-19 20:55:13

What do you think?
I am wondering if I overthink everything where I live, if I am in the end too emotional to be an expat on the long term. I lived in London for a long but never really felt like "an expat" or an outsider. Now I live in Stockholm and I find it really hard to be there longer. I'm hoping to move to my homeland although I never felt this way when I lived in London. I don't know how my Dh would cope..

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in