Talk

Advanced search

OMG I have just paid $(US) 15 for...

(14 Posts)
barefeete Tue 17-Jul-07 15:52:44

A bottle of Korma Curry Paste, a packet of pasta (Waitrose of course!) a yorkie bar and a 2 week old daily telegraph newspaper dated the 8th July!!!!

What was i thinking?

Anyone else paid stupid prices for imported goods just to get a taste of home?

barefeete Tue 17-Jul-07 15:54:47

Oh and the newspaper was half price so made a saving!!!

wishywotz Tue 17-Jul-07 15:58:49

I am sorry I have just seen your lovely pics I have no sympathy !!!!!!

(umm what would I do to get some fresh mango?)

How long have you been there? how long are you there for?

barefeete Tue 17-Jul-07 16:49:19

been here 3 months! going through a homesick fase but only for sainsurys. found a moth in the raisons today - new packet, opened up the sealed lid and out flew a moth and left behind the cyrisalis thing!!!!

mangos are good, although my son has gone off them even though we have them growing in the garden. He's on to bananas now and they haven't been delivered to the island for a week!

wishywotz Tue 17-Jul-07 17:37:38

Never used this website, but heard of it. Not sure what the service is like. Wish I could come over and deliver some stuff for you .
www.xpatshop.co.uk

barefeete Tue 17-Jul-07 18:11:24

I looked at that website before but it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO expensive. TBH the only thing i really miss is Kenco really smooth coffee and organixs baby snacks. Never really used baby snacks like that when in the UK but now when i can't get them they seem like magic to me!

wishywotz Tue 17-Jul-07 18:48:16

it did look xtra expensive.

wishywotz Tue 17-Jul-07 18:57:51

I have just looked at the post office website and
Airmail Small Packets - up to 300g (like 2 reg weekly magazines) = £3.72
or Airmail Books & Pamphlets - up to 2020g = £20.68

So the posting is expensive from UK.

How long does airmail stuff take to get to you? How long can you live without your smooth coffee??

barefeete Tue 17-Jul-07 20:20:49

post takes about 3 weeks. I can live without it - but think about it every morning without fail. My friend is back in the Uk now and bringing some back with her + avent bottle teats and germolene!

wishywotz Tue 17-Jul-07 21:12:35

Caribbean products to bring back, you have just made me think of this. Very good for the mossie bites to use on the lo's Natural After Bite, it is great and you should be able to get it there easily.

Infact you could start selling it to us back in the UK on ebay! Give some to your friend !

barefeete Wed 18-Jul-07 00:24:03

we get after bite but it is potant as hell. Not seen the natural stuff. I will look for it. If i find i will let you know. could be my new business on ebay! good plan!!!!!!

Tortington Wed 18-Jul-07 00:26:28

yes yes no sypmathy here either.

ninedragons Wed 18-Jul-07 05:11:25

When I lived in Hong Kong I used to pay GBP9 for a copy of the Sunday Times each week.

It's just not the same reading it online.

barefeete Thu 19-Jul-07 03:19:37

online doesn't have the pictures! At least it is the weekend paper so it has all the supllements. will take an age to read the whole thing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now