Son potentially off to experience life in Syndey (Balmain). Advice please

(4 Posts)
Tiredemma Sun 16-Dec-18 14:20:44

My 18 year old son has been offered an opportunity to experience playing rugby in Sydney.
I am understandably anxious but excited for him, the club would be Balmain Rugby Club in Sydney and he would have assistance with accom and employment.
I have done some research on the internet and can see that this seems like quite a nice area. I have never visited Australia, just wondering if there is anything we need to be particularly mindful of?

What is Healthcare provision like?
Can he drive out there?

OP’s posts: |
swerv Fri 21-Dec-18 20:31:26

Surely given the risks associated with rugby he will need excellent health insurance and the club should help you here.

Yes it is an excellent area - I can't really help as have only worked in Sydney and not lived there long enough.

echt Fri 21-Dec-18 21:34:23

The club should provide private health insurance, check this out and get it in writing.

He can drive on a UK licence, as long as he's passed his test.

exexpat Fri 21-Dec-18 21:41:08

How long is he going for? You can drive on a UK licence but only for a limited time - I think it was 3 months when I was there, after that you have to get a temporary Australian licence: www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/licence/moving-to-nsw.html#Internationaldriversandriders.

He will definitely need health insurance.

Balmain is a great place (I lived there for a year or so), but I don't think the rugby club is actually in Balmain any more - it is somewhere else in the inner west of Sydney, though still handy for the centre of the city.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in