Talk

Advanced search

Sell Brisbane to me please?

(13 Posts)
choklit Sun 24-Jun-07 14:42:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

eidsvold Sun 24-Jun-07 23:19:41

not really lived in Melbourne but am a brissy girl born and bred.

Fabulous weather - much warmer than Melbourne and probably drier - thanks to ghosty living in Melbourne.

Great schools, more laidback - if that is what you like.

Culture - southbank precinct - plenty of stuff going on - festivals, plays, concerts etc.

1 hour to gold or sunshine coast and some of the most beautiful beaches or less depending on where you live.

houses are generally more affordable - depends again what you are looking for.

Area near us called little britain for the no of expats that have settled there - so if that is what you are after - available.

How old are your children??

what exactly are you looking for??

alycat Sun 24-Jun-07 23:33:49

I was going to say 1 hour to gold coast and warmer/dryer.

Wave at my DH if you see him, he's currently in Melbourne complaining about the cold.

No Vera's (restaurant) in Brissy so that is a serious minus!

choklit Mon 25-Jun-07 04:26:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

eidsvold Mon 25-Jun-07 06:41:03

we live in the pine shire which is rapidly developing - lots of new builds as well as existing housing.

North Lakes at Mango Hill - called Little Britain. - good schools, good area, good shopping - more coming soon.

Bayside is nice - north or south.

out to the west lots of nice areas.

Depends on workplace and whether your dh wants to commute. My dh works in CBD outskirts and commutes by train - about a 30 minute commute with 10 minute walk either side of train commute.

plenty of places to eat out.

Dh and I are off to the theatre in a couple of months to see Miss Saigon - with dinner beforehand.

lots of precincts with good food places to choose from.

eidsvold Mon 25-Jun-07 06:42:37

it can be a bit quiet where we are - but we like it like that.

i have an almost 5yo, 2.75 yo and a 3 month old.

More happening areas tend to be closer to the city. I like the fact I can choose to go into the city if I want but plenty near enough that I really don't have to if I don't want to iyswim.

skirmish Mon 25-Jun-07 07:16:00

don't foget the water restrictions! are you still level 5?!

eidsvold Mon 25-Jun-07 10:44:23

yup - level 5.

chopster Mon 25-Jun-07 10:49:37

can I quikly hijack and ask if anyone knows what I can dress dd up in - they are doing geography week and her class has australlia!

robinpud Mon 25-Jun-07 11:12:44

Thongs, sunnies, shorts, t shirt and face paint an ozzie flag on her cheek.

Actually their school uniforms are quite amusing- they wear them in the sixth forms here and they really do wear them indecnelty short with white socks around the midlle of their calves. hilarious!

chopster Mon 25-Jun-07 11:13:56

Oooh I like that, nice and easy and the flag idea is great, thanks for that. I did have to read thongs twice tho!

robinpud Mon 25-Jun-07 11:15:44

Yes- the thong thing caused dh a red faced moment when I screeched at him to hit a cockroach with my thong!

scully Mon 25-Jun-07 11:34:48

I grew up in Brisbane and have lived in Melbourne for 3yrs (& spent almost 11yrs in the UK before returning to Brisbane).
Brisbane is a great place to raise a young family, I think the weather is its best selling point and you are only an hour away from the beaches etc. A lot of English & South Africans where we are (Southern Bayside), and I've found Bne generally a lot more multicultural with more happening then when I last lived here 14yrs ago
Does have a very different feel to Melbourne, and I'll always have a soft spot for Melbourne but the weather would probably put me off, having done that in the UK for too long. Hard work with small children I found

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: