Singapore Schooling

(10 Posts)
Monsoonrain1 Tue 18-Sep-18 15:07:00

Hi everyone,

I am hoping to get some advice on schooling in Singapore as we are thinking of relocating there next year. My 4yo is currently at a very good private school in London and is doing well. The most important consideration in us making the move is for our 2 sons to maintain/do better than the UK standard so they will have no problem coming back (probably for the 11+).
We have always wanted to live and work in Singapore so are desperate to try and make this opportunity work, but not at the expense of our children't schooling. We have spoken to the school and sadly they are unable to hold the place unless we pay the fees while we are away (!) so it will be a very competitive re-entry and I will feel very bad if he didn't get back into this or an equivalent top private school when we return.
Any advice on the best academic schools that follow the British curriculum and if they prepare for 11+ entrance exams would be greatly appreciated. I have done a fair amount of research and understand that the only 2 contenders are: 1) TTS and 2) Dulwich College. I understand that TTS has a good reputation but that many think DC is also fantastic although harder to gauge results as it's a lot newer.
Please help! We are due to go to Singapore in 2 weeks to visit some of these schools and would love to have some opinions/things to look out for/questions to ask from this wise bunch!

Thanks very much,
a frantic mum with a big move on her hands xx

OP’s posts: |
Saltedcaramellavacake Wed 19-Sep-18 16:18:53

Your choices are TTS and Dulwich if you want the English curriculum. One (TTS) has special after school classes to prepare kids for the 11+. I don’t think Dulwich does but there are tutors here who can if that’s your wish.
Your current challenge may be getting a place in either. They are often oversubscribed in the younger years, but perhaps you’ve checked that already.
Dulwich’s first IGCSE grades were impressive, but the cohort was tiny (c.25 kids, I think) but generally the international Dulwich schools get well above average results so the Singapore franchise is likely to too, especially as it is brashly selective.

Monsoonrain1 Wed 19-Sep-18 16:37:54

Thanks so much for your response. Gaining entry does worry me as we need to move at the end of the year and unless I stay back with the kids (not really an option), we need to find schooling for them for Jan 2019 and want to cause the least disruption possible.
Are there any other good reception and nursery options available while I wait for a place?
I am concerned about moving my 4 year old twice in a short period but not sure what else I can do hmm

Saltedcaramellavacake Wed 19-Sep-18 16:44:57

Some families are using a small school called Invictus as a sort of holding bay while they wait for Tanglin places - low enrolment fees and basic uniform so the initial buy in is not prohibitive for a temporary fix.
You could also look at somewhere like Eton House which is a very well regarded local private option with a number of different locations. Some are only preschools but preschool goes to 6 here so your DS would not be out of place. Also because it is Singapore it is academic even from nursery!

Monsoonrain1 Thu 20-Sep-18 13:13:37

Thank you so much saltedcaramellavacake, I had not heard of those schools so will get in touch now. We are flying out to Singapore in a couple of weeks to see some schools so will go and see them too. Thanks so much!

Are tutors widely available? My concern stems from speaking to a few people who have returned and tried to get their kids into private schools in the UK and have found it tough so I guess I will just need to make sure I am aware of the UK curriculum and make sure they are at that standard confused!

Also if you have any tips on good accommodation/ areas to live with 2 young boys, please let me know. Thanks so much

tomhazard Thu 20-Sep-18 15:44:42

Dover Court is also based on the British Curriculum. It's a Nord Anglia

Monsoonrain1 Thu 20-Sep-18 15:53:10

Thank you! I have also booked to see Dover Court although understand it is more of an early years/junior provision?

Advertisement

Saltedcaramellavacake Thu 20-Sep-18 16:19:19

There are private tutors. Some familiar with the 11+ regime can be found by word of mouth via the expat wives FB pages. If the 11+ is key I’d focus on the school/s that offer extra lessons for that purpose. But (and being controversial...) living abroad is an amazing experience for kids, and who knows what the future holds - the 11+ and a private English education may seem like the thing to be aspire to, but there are extraordinary experiences and education opportunities in the wider world too.

Monsoonrain1 Thu 20-Sep-18 16:37:40

Thank you and actually your comment is somewhat reassuring. It is because DS1 is in one of the top academic private schools at the moment (albeit in the Reception class) so it is very unnerving taking him out and 'giving up' the much coveted place. It's making me feel just quite nervous. I think it will be a wonderful opportunity for all of us and I fully intend to make the most of it. I just hope (should we choose to return) he won't have any problems getting back into a good school! I guess there isn't much point overly worrying about it but just want to do what I can to make sure both boys will be in the best position when/if we return.

Another qu if you don't mind - is football widely played in schools in Singapore?!

tomhazard Thu 20-Sep-18 17:47:16

You'll get football as an extra curricular in all international schools!

Dover Court goes all through but used to only be junior- they are worth a look although I don't think it's anything like as good as TTS or Dulwich.

FWIW I've worked at a few schools in Singapore. UWCSEA is outstanding although you'll have a fairly hefty waiting list for a young one like your DS.

In general, the quality of international schooling in Singapore is high xx

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in