Advanced search

Struggling with being an expat

(7 Posts)
Notahappyexpat Tue 13-Mar-18 10:53:02

We have lived abroad for 10 years - I did enjoy it and it’s way better for the children & husband - they love it and I know our quality of life is better than it would be in the UK... however in the last year I have developed an almost physical dislike for expat life.

The women I meet are awful (bitchy, unsupportive, wildly competitive re children), it’s not English speaking so hard to get a job (and if I do get a job it will be full time due to my career and then have no help with children), I miss my old friends and have painted this rose coloured picture of what my life would be like if I was back in the UK.

Anyone else gone through this - will it get better? Am I just having a mid life crisis? What can I do to get out of this rut / depression - going back to UK used to make me realise how lucky we were with our life but now it’s not

TheHulksPurplePants Tue 13-Mar-18 11:02:29

I think its normal to feel like this sometimes. Sometimes it passes, other times it doesn't and then you have to make a decision. I know what you mean about rose colored glasses though. Not sure what to do about that

TeaAddict235 Tue 13-Mar-18 16:42:46

Hey OP,
I understand what you mean about the rose coloured glasses, I do that to myself especially when I'm having a rough day or week, I.e. every other week. Whereabouts are you? Could you visit home more often than you currently are doing to get that 'uk fill'? I try to go back every 5-6months as it keeps me sane and optimistic.

Notahappyexpat Tue 13-Mar-18 17:24:23

I have been going back more and having friends visit - I think with the mood I am in it’s making me worse. We are visiting the uk in a couple of weeks.

I know that I am the only one in the family feeling this way and am trying to get my head sorted out before I crack and demand we move.

AmandaClaire75 Wed 14-Mar-18 12:46:18

Hello, I am new to mumsnet. I live in Denmark and I am so very desperate to move back to the UK. I have no friends here and my work has become too much with lots of stress. I also have a 12 year old daughter whose school work is suffering. My work also now requires me to travel at least once a month which I can't do as I am a single parent. I can't help but cry everyday because I am so desperate to go home.

DeliveredByKiki Sat 17-Mar-18 06:07:25

I understand OP. I’m ok at the moment but I know there will come a time when I will be done and want to move home. DH has made it clear he never wants to go back, DC are happy and’s tough being the one who has the biggest pull back to the UK

discombobulatednibblesnarf Sat 17-Mar-18 08:19:18

Totally sympathise. Been here 8 years, dh settled, kids only know here as home. I hate that we are 'stuck' here. I too am in 'the expat' bubble due to school. It's not the 'normal' life as I would want it. I stopped visiting 'home' as it was too hard to come back sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now