Talk

Advanced search

If you were to spend the winter in Spain, where would you go?

(18 Posts)
juneau Wed 21-Feb-18 16:38:58

This is just a hypothetical one for now, but I'm interested in the opinions of anyone who knows Spain well, or expats who've already taken the plunge.

I've travelled quite a bit in Spain (Barcelona, Madrid, Valencia, Bilbao, San Sebastian, Seville, Cordoba, Granada, Costa de la Luz), and love it, but I don't have a good sense of where would meet my ideal criteria, which would be:

- mild and sunny (and pref. warm) in winter;
- by the beach;
- museums and other cultural stuff going on, so not just a beach town;
- decent sized community with plenty of local life;
- not too far from an airport with flights to London;
- but NOT a resort town full of Brits tucking into a full English each morning and playing bowls!

Valencia fits the bill pretty well, but it's quite big and busy. Anyone else day-dreaming about one day grey gloom of an English winter behind?

juneau Wed 21-Feb-18 16:39:48

*leaving the

Hoppinggreen Wed 21-Feb-18 16:41:10

I was going to say Costa de la Luz but I see you’ve been there.
Check out Ayamonte. You can also easily access Portugal for a change of scene. We are there now and it’s 18 degrees and sunny

GaryBarlowsTaxReturn Wed 21-Feb-18 17:37:19

Malaga sounds like it would suit you. Lovely city. Very Spanish yet very cosmopolitan.

juneau Wed 21-Feb-18 17:52:51

That's interesting Gary as Malaga is somewhere I'd like to go. DH seems to have a somewhat negative impression, but I think that's because of the resort towns nearby. Does Malaga have a nice beach (or beaches?)

HainaultViaNewburyPark Wed 21-Feb-18 17:59:42

Alicante?

Do you need to consider employment?

virtualreality Wed 21-Feb-18 18:06:13

I echo Malaga. Do a tour on google maps.

It has everything, great beaches a walk away, brilliant shopping on Calle Larios, tapas to die for, and a train/bus station that will take you anywhere you want (with connections sometimes but hey).

Lots of people just turn right out of the airport and go up the Costa, which is fine if that's what you want, but the city of Malaga (or suburbs) is just great. I do know this!

IpanemaChica Wed 21-Feb-18 18:10:12

Malaga or Nerja.

Chienrouge Wed 21-Feb-18 18:10:38

I was going to say Valencia. Lived there for a while and really loved it.

frenchfancy Wed 21-Feb-18 18:12:24

I was going to say Malaga. It is not at all like you expect. It is a lovely Spanish city.

IpanemaChica Wed 21-Feb-18 18:13:20

And yes I’m constantly thinking of leaving the gloom behind for a few months. Will be in 8-10 years time realistically.

blue25 Wed 21-Feb-18 18:16:50

Another vote for Malaga. Nerja is lovely but a beach resort really.

juneau Wed 21-Feb-18 18:18:33

Do you need to consider employment?

No, we would only do this once we're retired. Our kids won't have left home before then anyway!

What do you like about Alicante Hainault?

We both loved Valencia, so it would be a serious contender. We're both city people, rather than country folk.

danTDM Wed 21-Feb-18 18:21:09

I live in Valencia. Hardly any Brits and the best weather/food! Beach and opera and cheap! etc

danTDM Wed 21-Feb-18 18:24:26

PS Valencia not big and busy (to me) but I'm from London.

But many towns nearby on train line direct to Valencia, Gandia, Sueca etc less than an hour from civilisation.

virtualreality Wed 21-Feb-18 18:26:29

Oh and if you get the bus from the airport to Malaga city it is only a euro or something daft like that.

To try it out on the cheap, ( I hope I am not making assumptions), Try hotel Carlos V, airport bus outside the door. You will get a feel for the place.

For a bit of luxury you can try Hotel Molina Lario, once owned by Malaga's favourite son, Antonio Banderas.

It is important to try things out and see if they suit you, and it is what you want.

Research, research!

Best of luck OP.

juneau Wed 21-Feb-18 18:41:22

Oh this is great - thanks fellow Spain lovers!

We were in Valencia last week dan and totally fell in love with it. The soft sandy beach is one of the nicest I've been to, particularly near a city, only slightly spoiled by the cranes at the port. Whereabouts do you live (if you don't mind me asking)?

I've got my Rough Guide out now and am having a look at Malaga grin

fussychica Thu 22-Feb-18 17:25:06

We used to live in Spain and now spend half our time there. We are there right now. It's currently 17 degrees at 6.15 and we had coffee on the playa and walked 5kms along the prom and back earlier. We are in Almeria province which probably has the best winter weather anywhere in Spain and we love it. However, it's very underdeveloped so may lack the infrastructure and cultural elements you are looking for.
Like others up thread I think Malaga or Alicante might suit you. I can't put my finger on why but I'm not that keen on Valencia but I know I'm in the minority.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: