Talk

Advanced search

Teaching Job in Dubai

(18 Posts)
Namechange16 Tue 20-Feb-18 16:32:50

Anyone live/d here? I've seen a job advertised which looks good in a international private school. Free accommodation, no tax. I'd go with my 2 kids who would have free places and my husband who wouldn't work (look after house, shop, kids etc).

Is it as lucrative as people say? What are the hardships? I imagine the heat can be difficult. I'd also be worried about terrorism risk. The FCO says there definitely is one. Are there many attacks? I am Jon Snow, I know nothing.

AbsolutelyCorking Tue 20-Feb-18 16:38:38

Wouldn’t go there for any amount of money. Disgusting place, built by greed and exploitation. Horrible attitudes to women.

HamishBamish Tue 20-Feb-18 16:40:28

I haven't personally, but I know people who do. It can be very lucrative. Like you say, you have no housing costs and don't have to factor in school fees.

I would definitely look into it OP. It doesn't have to be forever, I know people who have done it for a few years and come back to the UK. I also know people who have worked in several different countries and loved it. They have taken the opportunity to travel also.

Stpancras Tue 20-Feb-18 16:41:38

Dubai is an amazing place to be a teacher. Excellent work life balance, high quality schools and great perks as you describe.

There has never been a terrorist attack here afaik, certainly none in the ten years I have lived here.

Gender equality is improving rapidly, this is NOT Saudi!

It’sa great place to raise young children.

Stpancras Tue 20-Feb-18 16:43:21

Look up “Empowering Expat Teachers” on facebook. She is in Dubai and her page is a great source of info (not me!!)

habibihabibi Tue 20-Feb-18 16:55:49

I've lived there and am.still in the region. I found in the main schools like hiring singles or teaching couples because it's proportionally more expensive to give family housing, flights , medical and school places when they only get one employee in return.
Don't expect to save loads in the first The tax free income is made back in the inflated prices you pay for everything but that said
I'd still rather work there than the UK anyday.

chocolateavocado99 Thu 01-Mar-18 14:52:37

My dh and I are teachers who have taught internationally for the last 7 years. I would look closely at the cost of living and how difficult it would be to support a family of 4 on your salary.
In the three countries we have worked in, we have seen families struggle when only one parent was teaching. I suggest you ask for some teachers email addresses and go from there. As in many cities in the UK, it is difficult to raise a family on one salary.
We love teaching overseas and I know many people who have happily worked in Dubai. Good luck with your decision.

NewBallsPlease00 Tue 06-Mar-18 01:14:40

I have good friends teaching privately in Dubai- no way would 1 salary support a family of 4, cost of housing is high and often required full rental term up front. Cost of living is high generally good etc and most teachers return to uk etc for summer where its repressive heat
It's s great place but get accurate costs And do your Suns
Also be very aware of your lack of rights...

Thedogsmells Tue 06-Mar-18 08:28:48

Where do you rate Chocolate?

TheHulksPurplePants Tue 06-Mar-18 08:32:44

I live in Dubai. There is no way you will support a family of 4 on a teachers salary. Also, there is tax now, it's called VAT and its 5% of anything and everything you buy.

What's the school? Do they offer your children free spots? What's there KHDA ranking?

TheHulksPurplePants Tue 06-Mar-18 08:37:40

I'd also be worried about terrorism risk. The FCO says there definitely is one. Are there many attacks?

ROFLMAO. I'd be more scared of a terrorist attack in London to be fair. The last "terrorist attack" in Dubai was in the 1970's when a hijacked plane was landed at the airport and they had to talk the hijackers into releasing the passengers. The plane was actually hijacked by Japanese militants, and Dubai just happened to be the closest place to land.

Before that it was a ship sunk in Fujairah in the 1960's by an Iranian militant group.

Now if they want to label crazy drivers terrorists, then we can talk attacks...

Tweennightmare Wed 07-Mar-18 05:27:28

Agree with the hulk no way would you be able to live comfortably with a family of 4 and only one teacher salary. Dubai is crazy expensive, the days of lucrative packages have long gone . I live in Dubai and most people I talk to are feeling the pinch now . VAT and general rising prices compared with reduction in packages are really hitting home. Before you commit definately do your homework. Look at some of the Facebook forums (brits in Dubai, British mums in Dubai ) and make sure the figures stack up especially if your husband is giving up his job. Also make sure you husband would be happy staying home. There are lots of stay at home mums here but not many stay at home dads that I know of , so make sure he would be happy with the “mum mafia”

Johnnycomelately1 Wed 07-Mar-18 05:30:52

It would make more financial sense for your husband to work also and to hire a helper to do the house stuff.

marcopront Wed 07-Mar-18 06:21:52

I teach in an International school.
Have a look on the teaching overseas forum on the TES or join one of the many Facebook groups for International teachers and get some information on the school. There are a lot of International schools in Dubai and some are not good places to work.
It is possible you will not be able to sponsor your husband's visa.

ZombieHunter Sat 17-Mar-18 04:32:19

Why limit yourself to Dubai? I teach in Shanghai, support a family with my wage and we travel around Asia every single holiday in addition to being able to save.
You might have missed the boat for August 2018 start as recruitment season is coming to an end, but in the next months research different countries, look on TES, don't limit yourself and start applying for jobs starting August 2019 early autumn.

DXBCat Sat 17-Mar-18 04:47:50

I live in Dubai and it is very expensive. What looks like a decent salary when converted back to GBP is actually not that much here. Also check out what area the school is and where they provide staff accommodation as quality varies widely and may not be great with a family. If you want a nice lifestyle here, generally both parents work. On a teachers salary you will find you have to be more careful with your money as eating out, grocery shopping, clothes etc are much much more expensive than back home. For example, I typically spent around GBP300 a week on groceries and I am a single parent. A pint of beer or glass of wine is 10 pounds. My daughter does swimming lessons after school and it is 20 pounds a go. Please also check that you get family medical insurance from your employer. Dental is not usually covered unless you have a very good policy ( typically only senior executives). A typical consultation at the doctors is 70 pounds before any prescription or tests. I am not saying don't come but don't expect it to be lucrative as costs are high and Dubai is not a place to get into debt.

SandLand Sat 17-Mar-18 04:53:22

Not in the Emirates, but in the region.
It is very easy to spend a lot of money. Our food shop can be crazy expensive if we buy breakfast cereal and cheese for example. Lots of people are leaving as costs are rising too fast compared to salaries.
There are very few trailing husbands. Your DH would need to accept a very female dominated, or individual, day.
The place we spend mega bucks is accommodation over the summer. Our family home in the UK is rented out on a permanant basis. Neither set of parents have a house big enough to take all 4 of us for more than a few nights. So we pay for aprox 8 weeks of rentals in peak uk holiday season. How many (if any) flights a year do you get? If you fly back (or elsewhere) Xmas, Easter and summer that also adds up.
You (sort of) get used to the heat - and disappear for much of the summer where possible.
It is a great place to base exploring other parts of the world.
But scrub the terrorist bit off you list of concerns.

tomhazard Mon 19-Mar-18 17:41:09

Hi OP I just wondered if you decided whether to go ahead with this? I've just thrown in an application for a job in an intl school in Dubai which would come with places for the my ypung DC if I got it.
I used to be an expat in Singapore and I loved it- also a very expensive country - but not sure how life would compare in Dubai.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: