Talk

Advanced search

Relocating back to us - locations?

(17 Posts)
crispinquent Fri 02-Feb-18 17:11:56

Hi
Relocating back to us and need state w warmer winters than nyc area. As we are Ad and media workers need city, coast preferred. Ideas /experiences welcome. Two kids one in primary school one preschool. Thx 4 ur help

Exiguous Fri 02-Feb-18 17:43:23

As you have children I'd look carefully at school districts before you choose.

If I could move anywhere in the US at the moment I'd probably look at the Carolinas. Nice blend of climate and nice countryside. People I know who live there seem v happy.

I wouldn't recommend Atlanta, and I'd avoid Florida, personally - although if you chose your town carefully you could find good school districts.

Seattle - is that an option? Rainy and expensive though.

Portland OR?

I'm sure others here can talk more knowledgably about California but I'm put off by the high cost of living in a lot of it. But that may be unfair.

crispinquent Fri 02-Feb-18 18:28:37

We r in london and a few yrs in i am overwhelmed by cost of living: but partner loves the pace and mild winters.

ChinaRose Fri 02-Feb-18 19:58:03

We're in southern California. It's expensive but way better quality of life and housing than London. Way more for your buck and glorious sunshine every day.

crispinquent Sat 03-Feb-18 19:16:55

Tx all for ur advice. Ideally fewer clouds than london so seattle would be out

crispinquent Sun 04-Feb-18 00:41:45

Bump

QueenCity Sun 04-Feb-18 01:11:57

We are in South Carolina and love it so far. We've only been here a couple of months but the weather is fantastic. Blue skies and sunshine most days.

Catinthecorner Sun 04-Feb-18 01:24:53

If I could I’d live in California or Hawaii.

I also love New England but that fails your mild winter weather requirement.

crispinquent Mon 05-Feb-18 11:09:32

QueenCity do u Monday f I ask what fields you r in?

Husband didn’t grow up w snowy winters so not happy w the northeastern winters :-(

crispinquent Mon 05-Feb-18 11:09:58

Do you “mind” meant to say

DeliveredByKiki Tue 06-Feb-18 05:43:53

We’re in SoCal too - yes v expensive but wages tend to reflect this

babynelly2010 Sat 10-Feb-18 16:25:08

What did u decide on and why? We are in similar situation :-)

crispinquent Wed 21-Feb-18 23:15:19

We havent decided. We r waiting on work transfer info for him. He hates driving and being alone (ever) so busy area a must

crispinquent Wed 21-Feb-18 23:16:11

babynelly what factor r u considering re your move back?

crispinquent Thu 22-Feb-18 15:30:33

ChinaRose what ways is quality of life better

crispinquent Thu 22-Feb-18 15:31:45

ChinaRose BabyNelly

mathanxiety Sat 03-Mar-18 06:56:14

Raleigh Durham research triangle area is nice. exSIL lived there for years. She loved being able to get to the mountains or the beach easily.

Washington DC is also nice, but not sure if this would be a place where you would find work. Winters might not suit either. Busy though...
Virginia around Charlottesville also a nice area, very techie, winters are a bit blah but not frigid.

Houston?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: