Talk

Advanced search

Nexus international School in singapore

(8 Posts)
THirdEeye Tue 05-Dec-17 09:51:37

We’re moving to Singapore in the spring and at the moment we are trying to secure a School place for DC1.

Our preferred choices are Dulwich college and Dover court, but unfortunately both are full until later in the year sad.

I’ve done a little research and l know it’s a nexus international school is a newish School in Singapore. Has anyone heard of it? What do you think of it?

It’s our only choice now or send DC to a school that doesn’t follow an English curriculum.

Thanks

MadamePince Tue 05-Dec-17 10:35:59

Hi I don't know Nexus Singapore, but I am familiar with Nexus in Malaysia and the Taylors group who owns them both.

Nexus in Malaysia is having issues at the moment because there is a surplus of spaces in KL and they have filled them with lots of non-English speaking students from mainland China. While these students have every right to be there obviously provided they pay their fees, and are perfectly good students, it is changing the culture of the school and many parents are not happy (and voting with their feet)

Taylors group itself is well established and fairly well respected, but it is a for-profit organisation and there is no getting away from the fact it is a business and budgets are squeezed at every opportunity.

Is there nothing available at Tanglin or UWC - those would be my first choices in SG

THirdEeye Tue 05-Dec-17 13:06:08

Thank you for that madam

Tanglin didn’t envisage having a space available until 2020 and UWC have none until August 2018....

My DH asked about Nexus with colleagues in Singapore and no one came back with anything.......

We really don’t know what to do, it may mean that we will have to put her into a school for just three months and then switch her again after that.....not something we really wanted to do sad

MadamePince Tue 05-Dec-17 13:09:59

Which year group are you looking for?

dramalamma Tue 05-Dec-17 13:14:17

I’ve got a few friends with kids in nexus and have looked around more than once (used to live in sing). The friends are all really happy - not as academic as dulwich or tanglin but good pastorally and I really liked the slightly more casual atmosphere. Having said that, I had kids at dulwich and it is an amazing school - I’d still be staying on the waiting list there too.

THirdEeye Tue 05-Dec-17 17:49:57

Hoping for a year one madam

LucyKB85 Wed 06-Dec-17 06:47:15

Hi, I'm the admissions manager at Nexus and someone showed me your post - no hard sales promise! 😊 i have worked for 2 other schools in SG and visited most others so would have thought I could give you a pretty impartial view to the options available in SG. And, of course, if you want to know more about Nexus feel free to drop me a message and i can tell you more. I've been in SG for 7 yrs now and worked at Nexus for 5+. From UK and have 2.5yr old and another on way. Dont envy you moving out with school age kids as you have to learn everything so fast but anything i can help with let me know. Good luck!
(And we do have places in Year 1😉)

farangatang Wed 06-Dec-17 12:05:44

A colleague of mine used to work there. She said they are very big on the use of technology for learning. Her children were happy there and although it doesn't have the 'name' of places like UWC, TTS and Dulwich, she said she quite liked it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now