Talk

Advanced search

Moving to France

(7 Posts)
operaha Sun 15-Oct-17 13:53:29

We would love to move to France in around 4 years time.
Money isn't a concern in terms of buying a property but my job would be. I don't need to be highly paid so can do shop work or similar and we'll be fine for first 6 months or so.
We'll be commutable to a large city.
Has anyone experience of moving to France, leaving a specific career and getting a job just to 'get by'? I speak fluent French btw as does my husband.
All plans in early stages as we can't do much until nearer the time but we've been talking about it for years and I want to start researching stuff like this, speak to a lot of people that have done the same.

schmalex Sun 15-Oct-17 17:31:48

Surely this will all depend on what happens with Brexit? You may need a visa to live/work in France.

Mistigri Sun 15-Oct-17 22:10:27

How realistic this is depends where you plan to live and what the local employment market is like, or whether you have any skills that could be used to generate a self-employed income.

In 4 years time it may be necessary to have a job offer before you move. Lots of complicated admin if you are a non-EU citizen moving to France.

clearsommespace Tue 17-Oct-17 17:30:55

I followed DH's job to France and got an office job rather than a career. I was lucky as my employer needed someone who spoke both English and French well, there wasn't much competition in that geographical area and he was young, open-minded and prepared to train me the on job. Lots of employers require you to have specific qualifications and your CV will not get a second glance if you don't.

whattheactualflump Tue 17-Oct-17 18:59:24

We lived in France - met lots of ex-pats doing as you describe. I did a TEFL course before we left & taught English at the local Mairie (arranged with the Mayor before when we were house hunting). Was well worth the investment in the training. Also all the local estate agents were desperate for bi-lingual staff & the commission on French houses is enormous - but the housing market being dead in the water possibly not great for that, plus it's another thing Brexit will screw up for English people!

I would just make sure you have a good grasp of had tax system - the take a lot but you are entitled to loads of stuff (pensions, child benefits etc), again will probably change after Brexit, but used to be great.

frenchfancy Wed 18-Oct-17 08:16:48

Unless you have an EU passport i don't see how this is going to work. There are plenty of people wanting jobs just to get by. Unemployment is still high in France and you would be competing with people with French qualifications.

When you say fluent do you mean you could hold a conversation or do you mean you could pass for French?

Don't bother looking for estate agent work - the British market is dead and many estate agents have closed their doors.

operaha Thu 19-Oct-17 18:36:33

Lots to think of here. We're only starting to look into it so don't know all the facts and its still years off.
Fluent, former French teacher.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now