Talk

Advanced search

How did you become an expat?

(35 Posts)
DrRisotto Fri 13-Oct-17 23:32:44

I'm interested. I don't have family anywhere abroad and want to hear how people moved. If with work, what do you do? How did you arrange that?
TIA x

Costacoffeeplease Fri 13-Oct-17 23:52:17

We sold a business and didn't know what we wanted to do next, so decided to sell the house and move to portugal

We had been visiting the same village since the late 80s and had bought a holiday/rental apt but we had no jobs lined up, nor any idea of what we would do, but we're still here 14 years later!

BradleyPooper Sat 14-Oct-17 01:15:23

Did an internship with a French company in Lyon during my degree. They offered me a 6 month job in Paris when I graduated, I took it, stayed 4 years, met dh who was traveling a lot for work, got fed up with him never being around, took a sabbatical from myjob in Paris, sold everything, got a freelance job and bought a one way ticket to Singapore. Been an expat for 22 years with 10 international moves on 3 continents.

bambambini Sat 14-Oct-17 01:19:29

Tbh, mostly I think it's in company moves - that's if you're talking about traditional "expat" moves where your expenses are covered. Obviously you can do it other ways. Be visiting - then find job.

howsafeismytrip Sat 14-Oct-17 01:31:57

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Ttbb Sat 14-Oct-17 01:32:49

Met my husband while travelling and stayed put.

Cantseethewoods Sat 14-Oct-17 01:38:42

DH was transferred by his company (banking). However, he subsequently left that company and joined another so on a local contract. I still work for the same company I worked for in the UK but again, I'm on a local contract. The expat contracts are dying out as it's increasingly easy to hire locally. Most expats in HK are in finance, law or teaching. It's increasingly hard to get visas as the burden is on the employer to prove that they can't hire locally.

It's not really possible to come here and then look for work as you wouldn't be able to get anywhere to live/ a phone contract /bank account etc. without an ID card and you need a work visa to get the ID card.

Strokethefurrywall Sat 14-Oct-17 01:41:03

I decided not to take a job offer with a law firm in Dubai, realized I preferred to work in the Caribbean so booked a one way ticket to grand cayman. I was 28 and single so it was an easy move.
10 years, a house, a husband, 2 kids and 2 dogs later and I have no intention of leaving grin

trainedopossum Sat 14-Oct-17 01:44:02

I did a student work exchange at 21, met someone, got married, got divorced, got married again and never went back. That was almost 30yrs ago.

Nakedavenger74 Sat 14-Oct-17 01:59:32

Worked in global firm for 8 years. Offered me short term secondment to Sydney. Worked in NZ during that and got offered FT permanent so we moved!

allfurcoatnoknickers Sun 15-Oct-17 16:57:25

Met DH when we both did our masters at the same UK university. After a couple of years in a long distance relationship he imported me and the rest is history. I've been in New York now for almost four years and love it (most of the time) and have no intention of moving back.

CherryLip Sun 15-Oct-17 19:13:17

We moved by choice to Southern Spain in 2001 as due to DH’s job we could live just about anywhere in Europe. DH now based in Hong Kong so we are now there.....and Spain!

lifeisunjust Sun 15-Oct-17 22:09:45

Moved as government employee. Abandoned in country, life threatened several times, end up staying. No longer expat, now an immigrant.

Golondrina Sun 15-Oct-17 22:14:01

Went to Portugal to teach English as a foreign language, after a year moved to Spain and met DH. Been here since 1999.

36plusandtrying Sun 15-Oct-17 22:30:49

DH was offered an 18 month contract in NZ, I met him just before he was due to leave. We had a summer romance so to speak, then he left and I stayed in the UK thinking it was just a fling ! We kept in touch he came back to see me a couple of times and then I went to see him on a WHV and on a one way ticket ! That was nearly 8 years ago, we've moved again to OZ. Hard being away from home but the lifestyle makes up for it.

HipToBeSquare Sun 15-Oct-17 22:40:31

Met in Aus when dh was on a whv. Moved to NZ as his visa expired, then to Ireland (his home) then to the UK and we are still here.

Hoping to do the reverse (without NZ) soon, so back to Ireland for a few years then finally (!) back to Aus.

But I've got a hankering to live in HK or Singapore which I float about once a year smile

Catinthecorner Sun 15-Oct-17 22:46:09

Trailing spouse. If I knew then what I know now I’d never have agreed to move. I’ve been shat on from a great height by my husband’s employer and we are now stuck until they decide they want us home.

MrsOverTheRoad Mon 16-Oct-17 01:37:23

Met a bloody Aussie! grin

They NEVER want to stay in England. Luckily I love it here...I've been here for 2 years. We came back to Oz with our DC and that's that now.

We weren't doing well financially in England so his parents paid for my visa. We'd have taken a good few years to save enough so thank God for them!

Katsite Tue 17-Oct-17 16:12:01

Left home after A levels, worked for international organization, went to uni abroad then met equally footloose DH. He has worked for various global companies in a finance role and since birth of DCs I have been a trailing spouse.

Want2bSupermum Wed 18-Oct-17 13:40:35

Worked for a big bank and was transferred to their US office. The team I was supposed to be joining was poached the week I arrived and walked out leaving me completely screwed. One of the senior managers took pity on me and made some calls. I took a job with another bank and moved to New Jersey. Met DH six months later. He is here on an expat contract. They have tried to move him to a local contract, they tried to not pay him commission and they terminated his final salary pension benefit. He had to take them to court and won.

You are extremely vulnerable when you move abroad. It sounds like an adventure but it's not.

ShanghaiDiva Wed 18-Oct-17 14:42:24

we moved overseas in 1995 with dh's company. Contract was for 2 years, but this is year 23 and now on country number three.

DubaiismyBlackpool Wed 18-Oct-17 14:56:18

DH during the course of his work impaled himself on a fence and had the ‘bright light’ moment.
When he left hospital he wanted a better life for our DC than we had in a deprived part of the North East. He saw a job advertised that was in Gibraltar and asked me to give it a go. Gib lasted 10 months and we were about to accept a job in Manchester when a job in Dubai came up. It was my idea to accept as we might never have the chance again. 10 years later were still in the Middle East but are in Oman. Our youngest DC have spent more of their lives outside the UK than in. They don’t ‘feel’ British, they don’t really know what that is sad. They get on better with other International students than solely UK based ones.

I know we’re very lucky and I have to give DH reality checks every so often.

TwoBlueFish Wed 18-Oct-17 18:00:15

Saw an ad in a trade paper saying “do you want to work in California” applied, got the job, went for a year stayed for 10. Software development role.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 18-Oct-17 18:07:51

Lived overseas a bit as a kid, got the travelling bug.

Met DH in his country and made the mistake of showing him the craphole I lived in!

Came on a tourist visa, got a temporary work visa, then permanent residence, then citizenship. Total pain in the arse and wouldn’t recommend my method unless you are madly in love!

FinallyDecidedOnUserName Wed 18-Oct-17 18:07:57

With parents as child for job move & then again with DH with his job.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: