Talk

Advanced search

Accessing money from bank account without fees

(11 Posts)
PestoSwimissimos Thu 12-Oct-17 10:48:35

DD2 is about to do a ski season in the French Alps. Currently she has bank accounts with NatWest, but they will charge her every time she uses an ATM overseas.

What is the best way to access her money free of charges please? My friend has suggested MetroBank.

nutnerk Thu 12-Oct-17 10:54:03

The Post Office have great international money services, have a look on their website. When I did a stint abroad I got a travel money card with them and then just took out a good wadge of cash every so often which I made last by using card for everything (with no charge). If I remember correctly it's a flat fee, so made sense to take out 200€ rather than €20 here and there.

piemaker Thu 12-Oct-17 10:59:09

Look at the mobile bank revolut. I use it and I travel a lot.

She can transfer money from other bank acc on the phone app. No fees, and show you the exchange rate on the app.

https://www.revolut.com/

PestoSwimissimos Thu 12-Oct-17 11:05:37

Thank you Piemaker, Revolut sounds like a convenient option. I think the Post Office Money Card will just be a bit too clunky for DD2 living day to day in France (but thank you for the suggestion anyway Nutnerk smile)

confusedlittleone Thu 12-Oct-17 11:17:40

A cash passport? Can transfer money via internet but have it preloaded as well

tribpot Thu 12-Oct-17 11:19:56

Where is she getting paid, in France? This might be something to factor in as well, as the money has to get in as well as come out.

Frisbeefreedom Thu 12-Oct-17 11:30:51

I'd second Metro - I find them really good, and no withdrawal fees in Europe which would be perfect for her. If you have a branch nearby then they can set up an account and print the card on the spot so it's quick too. If not, MoneySavingExpert has a list of cheap debit card options.

PestoSwimissimos Thu 12-Oct-17 11:31:40

She is working for a UK company and they will be paying her wages into her UK bank account. So she will need to transfer money into a different account so that she doesn’t incur transaction charges and ATM fees every time she wants to access her cash.

WitchesHatRim Thu 12-Oct-17 11:32:39

A prepaid card that they can transfer money into?

Monzo is really good.

nutnerk Thu 12-Oct-17 11:41:16

How will it be clunky?? Its a standard mastercard.. confused

tribpot Thu 12-Oct-17 11:43:39

Yes, Monzo was going to be my recommendation - a friend of mine who works in Europe at lot swears by it.

I have a Halifax Clarity card - you would incur interest on ATM withdrawals but could pay it off the same day from the UK bank account, so effectively zero.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: