Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Holland with young children

(2 Posts)
Popgoestheronweasley Tue 10-Oct-17 13:49:24

Hi,

I was hoping to get any advice/wisdom/experience about moving to Holland.

DH has been offered a new job, we would need to move to either The Hague or Rotterdam. I am a sahm. DC are 3 (almost 4), 2 and 8 weeks. Oldest dc is at quite an academic private school nursery and thriving. Middle dc is a very late summer born baby who we would potentially look at school deferral for (possibly relevant to school choice).

We are thinking we should decide on a school and then that should dictate where we live. We're torn between British school in The Hague (benefit of remaining on U.K. Curriculum and oldest dc starts reception in 2018 in line with UK but not sure if we could defer middle dc's entry into reception as we could in the UK) and American school of Rotterdam (closer to DH's work, middle dc gets a later school start age but oldest dc may not be thrilled to have an extra year of nursery type education).

We don't know what will happen at the end of this assignment (we'll be in Holland for 2 years) then we could move back to the UK or out of Europe, most likely destination would be America.

We have thought about a local Dutch school but not sure it would make sense when we know we'll only be in Holland in the short term.

If anyone has any advice on how we should choose I'd be very grateful.

Also, what will my life in Holland be like as a sahm? Do baby/toddler groups exist as they do in the UK? And how hard is it to make friends/build up a network (this is our first overseas experience). I don't speak any Dutch but am willing to learn.

Thanks in advance.

citroenpresse Thu 12-Oct-17 11:16:11

Take a look at the Amsterdam Mamas website (which is not just parents in Amsterdam), their fb group and their Dutch Education sub-group. Annebet from new2nl.com is often highly recommended for those navigating school choice. Most children in Dutch education start when they are 4 (although legally, they don't have to start until 5) i.e. new pupils join throughout the year. Long waiting lists for international schools in Amsterdam but situation in Den Haag or Rotterdam may be different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now