Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Doha

(17 Posts)
Samibaby Tue 26-Sep-17 13:40:36

Hello
My husband had been offered a job in Doha. We are debating whether to move there for a few years or not. I have two kids aged 10 and 4 years old. They go to an outstanding school in UK. We have a decent work life balance here.
Financially we will be earning the same at both the places. In fact a little less from UK till I find a job for myself. So is it worth moving to Doha for a "better" life work balance.. and pay for private school.
How much one needs earn to have a decent comfortable life in Doha.
Thanks a lot... a big decision to make and all your support is highly appreciated.

FiveBoys Tue 26-Sep-17 13:55:05

Hi Sami,

Im elsewhere in the Middle East and can't comment on Doha as a place to live but re the schooling - its not private schooling in the sense we know it. Its just schooling that you have to pay for. Some of them are very good. Some of them arent.

Would I go to Doha? Based on what you've said I think it would have to be no given that you wont be any bette off financially and if you were planning to move just for the experience its not really that great a place to just for the experience.

Samibaby Tue 26-Sep-17 14:07:09

Thanks a lot for the reply... much appreciated..

LurksNoLonger Fri 13-Oct-17 20:02:52

Honestly wouldn't consider it unless you would be earning significantly more (think at least a third) more than in UK. Cost of living is v expensive and worse since blockade. As said above, you wouldn't be paying the private school experience you get in UK. Housing v expensive (though coming down as people leave) and there is a lot less choice of leisure time in terms of culture and family days out. Leaving after 3.5 years at end of year and whilst it hasn't been terrible, despite generous salaries we've not saved nearly as much as we anticipated and it wasn't the amazing life-affirming experience we hoped for.

MamaDuckling Sun 15-Oct-17 17:31:14

I'd say no.... cost of living is approx 30% higher here, not including accommodation which is sky high. So unless your new salary package reflects that then don't risk it, you'll be worse off...

Samibaby Mon 16-Oct-17 20:35:17

Thank you guys.. my package offers accommodation and contribution towards the fees.
But here in UK my daughter has got into grammar school nd my son goes to an outstanding state school.. so I am sure schooling wise I m better off in UK.. but really fancy a change grin

MamaDuckling Tue 17-Oct-17 16:10:06

Wow, if your DD got into a grammar, I'd be sticking in the UK.... even the top schools here don't match a UK grammar in my opinion, nor do they match outstanding state schools either.....

Samibaby Tue 17-Oct-17 16:33:22

Thank you ladies... I suppose that answers my question... it's a NO from me....
may be I will ask my husband to go and I stay back with the kids... we can visit him during the holidayswink

LurksNoLonger Tue 17-Oct-17 16:38:47

Joking aside lots of people do that! However, I can easily think of a dozen better places for you to holiday than here on a Qatar salary 😝

Samibaby Tue 17-Oct-17 17:13:10

Salary wise if we include the flight money and accommodation etc then may be 1/3 more than UK
But yes here I don't have to think of tuition fee...
PHCC is contributing towards the tuition fee there.... but overall if we come out of the pension in UK then we will be earning the same as Doha..
For us to save any money we will have to rent out our house in UK which shud cover the mortgage.
Sorry to keep on going about this... but your comments have been helpful and I want to make a decision that we don't regret 🤔🤔

MamaDuckling Tue 17-Oct-17 18:15:12

So if you need to rent out your UK house, think carefully where you'll spend the summers.... extended European holidays can get expensive and living out of suitcases is miserable, especially with older kids in tow.

Honestly, without being crude, we earn 5x our UK salary here. It is obviously worth the sacrifice to us for a few years, but it hasn't been the big adventure we also hoped for, nor as exotic as HK/Singapore in terms of holiday options. The blockade has made travel really difficult and food prices/choices have really been affected.

Sorry, I don't mean to put you off, but there is a LOT to weigh up. Our 'set up' costs here during our first year were huge, think cars, furniture, often white goods, huge deposits on accommodation and electricity/gas services, etc etc....

Samibaby Tue 17-Oct-17 18:58:30

Mamma duckling
It's been really helpful talking to you so please don't worry about any negatives... that's helping me to make a decision.
Summer holidays- my inlaws live here in UK and we get along really well. My parents are in India so we can divide our time...
accommodation in Doha is included in our package so that won't go from the salary..
Tuition fee as said before we will get QR 21000 per child per year 😌
Then there is electricity and phone cover etc
But yes set up cost will be a big cost
The company will pay us first class tickets to home country yearly..
Are you on whatsapp
May be easier to talk over there..
Really appreciate your effort and honesty

MamaDuckling Tue 17-Oct-17 19:00:53

Sure, I'll send you a pm

MamaDuckling Tue 17-Oct-17 19:03:45

Sorry, can't pm, I'm only using the chat app! If you want to send me a list of any q's I'll log in tomorrow and reply.

In a nutshell we are happy here, it's been a good move for us. But you need to go in with eyes wide open!

LurksNoLonger Tue 17-Oct-17 19:18:30

Agree with what everything Mama Duck said. And lots of the schools are A LOT more than 21k (our fees are fortunately covered by company but are almost 3x that). As I said previously unless the money really is that impossible to resist, I wouldn’t bother, leisure options are pretty limited and in terms of nature and culture you will be making a huge sacrifice...

Samibaby Tue 17-Oct-17 19:39:25

Message deleted by MNHQ as it contaains identifying info.

Samibaby Thu 19-Oct-17 21:44:40

Ya same here can't post the contact number.
We def fancy a change. Else where salary given is less than UK. Doha seems to at least match our salary and on top give us accommodation and tuition fees etc. This is why we are getting tempted to Move there for a few years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now