Talk

Advanced search

Do you know that funny feeling? --- DH interviewing in another country

(25 Posts)
Katsite Tue 22-Aug-17 11:13:41

Do you know that feeling when your DH is onto something new? You don't know yet if he will get the job, not sure if you want to move to that new location? or ever again?

DH is in the last round of interviews. He sounds excited. And I would be, no, am excited. Any chance to get away from here kind of tickles me although life is good here.

When do you let yourself get excited?

Acopyofacopy Tue 22-Aug-17 17:19:31

Get excited when he has got a contract to sign.
It's fun daydreaming about the possibilities - we are in a similar situation at the moment.
Due to the nature of dh's job I have learned the hard way not to get too excited. I was on board and in love with moving to NZ, it never happened sad

Katsite Tue 22-Aug-17 18:30:34

I know, Acopy, we keep saying "don't get excited yet" but it's hard.

Katsite Tue 22-Aug-17 18:31:57

Checking real estate and schools online. I guess daydreaming is a good way to think of it. Especially if it doesn't happen.

Ttbb Tue 22-Aug-17 18:39:27

This has happened to me so many times. I don't really notice anymore.

Acopyofacopy Wed 23-Aug-17 08:24:24

One thing I would say as well: it's ok for you to daydream, look at schools and houses etc., but don't mention anything to the kids yet.

Katsite Wed 23-Aug-17 14:06:42

We definitely don't tell the kids. For this particular location they would be all over us.
Does anyone ever involve their DCs in the decision making process.

ImperialBlether Wed 23-Aug-17 14:07:31

Where's the interview? I'm intrigued, now!

Katsite Wed 23-Aug-17 15:56:32

Switzerland. The kids love it.

Acopyofacopy Wed 23-Aug-17 16:07:05

We have had a hypothetical discussion with the kids along the lines of "if daddy was offered a job in x, what would you think?".
Through this we have narrowed down our must haves and dh knows where he is allowed to look.

We were in Switzerland for a few years and liked it a lot. When you get a salary figure make sure you take into account the sky high cost of living. Dh took quite a pay cut when we moved to the UK, but we were financially a lot better off!
The amount the childminder got every month was eye watering and I remember a job agent laughing out loud at my previous Swiss salary.

jellyshoeswithdiamonds Wed 23-Aug-17 22:08:20

It's horrendous.
Been in limbo since May, other than Dh I have two good friends I've confided in (and sworn to not breathe a word). Can't tell family or my kids incase it doesn't happen.

Have occupied myself with zillow and how to ship the dog (notice I said "ship" not "fly")

BrandNewHouse Wed 23-Aug-17 22:44:08

Oh what part. I'm in CH.

Katsite Thu 24-Aug-17 09:06:03

We've been to ZG before which is why the kids would love to return. Mostly because of the international school, I think. This new posting would be in BS.

It is kind of love it/hate it, jelly, but I can't tell DC and I can't tell ILs who currently make up almost 100% of my social circle. If I could talk to someone about it in RL I would enjoy it more, I think.

Acopyofacopy Thu 24-Aug-17 10:36:54

Oops, apologies for the cost of living warning! We were near Geneva and I have heard so many expats moaning about how their great salary didn't actually translate into being rich...
I wouldn't mind going back to CH. I miss the clear mountain air, the lake and the slow pace.

Katsite Thu 24-Aug-17 11:22:51

Switzerland is lovely in many ways but for us only of interest with international school, really.

I just got thinking how this situation is one of the great things about travelling. I love looking forward to a new adventure / daydreaming but it also brings an element of uncertainty. Especially if it lasts for a long time as with jelly.

habibihabibi Thu 24-Aug-17 11:27:20

I try not to think about it till the container arrives for the move.
Recently friends had packed,shipped and were enjoying a between jig holiday and they were reassigned to the Balkans whilst the container was on route to Beijing....

Katsite Thu 24-Aug-17 13:27:32

habibi grin

BrandNewHouse Thu 24-Aug-17 14:31:44

Hey we're in BS. I love it here - gone native.

jellyshoeswithdiamonds Thu 14-Sep-17 20:19:22

Heard this week, he's only gone and got the job.

Reasons for delay were explained.

In a whole other world of weirdness now ... waiting for package offer, from there we'll decide.

IHeartKingThistle Thu 14-Sep-17 22:01:12

DH went for a transfer abroad last year and we did tell the DC. One of them in particular would not deal well with a huge change sprung on her. So loads of discussion....and he didn't get it. Don't know if it was the right thing telling them but you have to make the right choice at the right time I suppose!

If he had got it I would have been terrified and gutted to leave our lovely house. But you know I still think about it, still wonder if it would have been fab.

I'm jealous of you Switzerland people!

IHeartKingThistle Thu 14-Sep-17 22:01:44

Sorry I meant applied for, not went for!

jellyshoeswithdiamonds Thu 14-Sep-17 23:34:19

I "could" be headed for USA not Switzerland ... would be easier tho, I could drive there with my snow tyres on wink

However, I wait, yet again to see what's offered. Let OH negotiate and don't mention to my family what could turn their little worlds upside down ..... until I really need to.

Katsite Fri 22-Sep-17 15:02:43

that's a long wait there, jelly! I feel for you.

Katsite Fri 22-Sep-17 15:04:47

our move to Switzerland didn't come through but I am relieved on one hand and disappointed on the other. I guess it's part of the package of doing this expat thing.

jellyshoeswithdiamonds Sun 24-Sep-17 17:59:24

katsite Sorry to hear your move fell through, I know that feeling too as we were given hints that it might not happen, while they were still deciding.

Long wait indeed, my dd has sat and passed her exams, we've been on a family holiday (couldn't talk about move), had a family member suddenly pass away (which throws up scenarios of being too far away if we move), dd has enrolled in year 2 of A levels. Bloody frightening.

Oh and the good news is they want him to start in January hmm, can't see me, dd and our dog going until June myself but will have recce trips.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: