Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

NY cost of living

(17 Posts)
sunflowershower Mon 10-Jul-17 18:54:21

Anyone able to give me some real life examples? Looking at a NY move (work will be in Manhattan)

I will get good pay rise but DH won't work so overall will be down (but no childcare costs).

Currently live in London, nice ish area, would have sent kids private. Can't work out NY rents or what tax and other expenses we'll pay

Want2bSupermum Tue 11-Jul-17 03:16:44

Overall as a single person you need to be on at least $90k to make it work and $120k+ to be ok. Rent for a small one bed is about $4k a month in cheaper parts of Manhattan. The issue comes in that your credit is zero but that's fixed with having an Amex account that you transfer over from the UK.

Food and wine is more expensive here. For disposable income consider your 'taxes' to be 45% of your income. That should cover your federal, state and things like health insurance.

greatpumpkin Tue 11-Jul-17 03:47:46

Private school fees are $40-45k/year.

School holidays are long and most kids do summer camps - $400-800/week for a day camp in the city.

If you live in Manhattan you probably won't need a car but if you do parking is $300-700/month depending on location.

Also bear in mind that if you're on an L1 visa you have very little security - if you stop working for that company for any reason your visa immediately becomes invalid.

Want2bSupermum Tue 11-Jul-17 03:50:00

You don't need go to private schools here. The public schools are excellent. Of course to live in catchment is $$$. Since you don't have kids it's not really relevant.

misssmilla1 Wed 12-Jul-17 02:00:56

Naice parts of Brooklyn and Manhattan rents are on a par with each other atm. We paid 4K a month for a 2 bed rental and that was 2 years ago. Lots of rentals will include the cost of the hot water and heating if you live in a block - downside of that is you can't usually control when it comes on!

I find living costs are more expensive than the UK- there's a monopoly on gas and electric so you're stuck with one provider, and the same for cable / internet. I think our monthly cable bill with a high end high speed broadband package is ~$160 a month. Mobile phones the same irt sporadic choice (altho its much better than it used to be) and coverage can be piss poor even in parts of the city, due to the high rises.

Monthly subway pass is $121 - this will take you anywhere in the city, as its not zoned like London

renters insurance is about $30 a month

We budgeted $200 a month for gas and electric

I'd second want2's comments on the amount of tax to budget for, and the cost of food, especially if you're used to fresh veg, fruit and meat. Also I find booze and wine expensive - no more 3 bottles for a tenner like you used to get in the supermarket in the UK!

I will caution on the amount of money you'll need in a bank to secure a rental as its difficult due to lack of credit history to secure a rental with the usual month down + deposit. For recent immigrants with a lack of banking history its common to pay 6+ months rent upfront plus a month's deposit, plus the real estate agents fee, unless your work is acting as a guarantor for you. I had to find ~$11,000 upfront to get an apartment when I first moved over shock

allfurcoatnoknickers Wed 12-Jul-17 23:57:06

I live in Manhattan - I own my 1 bed in Chelsea, but other, identical apts in the same building go for $5k per month.

If you work in midtown I recommend looking at rentals in Long Island City. It's 1 or 2 stops to midtown and you can get a very nice 1 bed in a luxury building from about $3200. I lived there before living in Chelsea. Washing machines in your building or apartment t are a relatively rare , highly prized amenity. A friend who lived in a 7k per month apartment didn't have her own washing machine and wasn't allowed to install one. Make sure that you consider sending laundry out as part of your budget.

I'd suggest trying to live somewhere near a supermarket - lugging all your shopping home on the subway is a nightmare.

Mobile phone bills are expensive. DH and I pay $125 per month for both our phones, which doesn't include phone cost and has a capped data plan.

Happy to answer any questions you might have about living in the city!

Want2bSupermum Fri 14-Jul-17 12:59:48

If you work downtown in Manhattan you can find nice rentals in Hoboken and downtown jersey city for $3000 in a luxury place and less for a regular place. Our rental units are $2k a month for basic one bed with no laundry. Wash and fold is $75c/lb. they pick up and drop off for free.

BritInUS1 Tue 18-Jul-17 16:08:12

I live in Northern California, but I think it is on a par with New York. Things to consider

Rent
Utilities
Mobile phones
Medical insurance - even if you have it through work your copay and contributions may still be very high
Food is expensive - at home and eating out
Kids clubs (I don't have kids, but I think these can add up to a lot)

What sort of salary are you looking at?

What will your OH do if he can't work?

SeaGreenWaves Wed 13-Sep-17 10:33:00

This is all really helpful.

Wonder if anyone has any more advice? Im on the other side of this OP's situation. DH has a internal move offer and I'm going to be the one not working (I think). No children either.

SquareWord Wed 13-Sep-17 14:24:32

SeaGreen - if it's an internal move and your DH has worked for his company for at least 12 months then he should get an L1 visa and as his dependent you would be granted an L2. This would allow you to work once you have an employee authorisation document (EAD) which takes about 90 days from application to receipt.

SeaGreenWaves Wed 13-Sep-17 17:32:49

@SquareWord that's good to know! I'm waiting for a proper offer before allowing myself to believe it. His work seem serious enough but unless the offer is big enough to make it worth while it I'm not sure we'll accept.

Holidayhooray Wed 13-Sep-17 17:34:20

This sounds like quite a senior job move.

Your company should provide a this information and more.

SeaGreenWaves Wed 13-Sep-17 18:04:27

@Holidayhooray thanks. It's not my company but DH's who want him to fill the role of someone who has left. Funnily enough the person who left, did so to return to their home country. His company is big on geographical internal moves.

ShiningWhit Wed 13-Sep-17 18:12:46

Renting is awful we had to pay 1 year advance, big US company etc, we didn't have a credit history - there should be someone dealing with expat relocations - schools should be part of the package and a rent allowance etc..... speak to HR.
I found the total living costs in general similar to central London though eating out in Manhattan was often cheaper than buying groceries. Battery Park City shouldn't be discounted as an area to live - lovely open areas and modern light low-ish rise buildings that work! Didn't have a car and would hire one occasionally for long trips.

Skala123 Wed 13-Sep-17 18:15:02

SeaGreen have they mentioned whether it would be an expat contract/long term assignment or permanent move? This will make a difference to salary and package offered. Is it an American company?

SeaGreenWaves Wed 13-Sep-17 18:22:51

UK company and so far none of those details have been sent to us. DH is going over to meet the team before we have to official accept.

SeaGreenWaves Wed 13-Sep-17 18:26:50

We are trying to figure how to even make this decision.

DH is a bit overwhelmed, my parents were expats so I've moved a few times as a kid then as an adult. I'm a bit more comfortable with the idea of a move pending offer details.

Im at least happy to know I could work, there should in theory be plenty of jobs in my industry.

No kids for now and the assignment would a minimum of 3 years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now