Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Canada

(12 Posts)
bakedbeansandtuna Mon 19-Jun-17 17:29:41

Hi everyone.

I’m looking to move to Canada. Qualification wise I have a BA (Hons) in Sociology and Criminology, an MSc in Applied Social Research, a PhD in Sociology and Social Policy and a Postgraduate Certificate of Education in Academic practice. The PGCAP isn't transferable internationally though so I doubt I'll get points there.

I have spent the last three years lecturing in Criminology at a University in England. Prior to that I have around two years experience of working on research contracts. I have built up some work experience and it was always the hope to be able to move to Canada (in fact its been the dream for about 15 years now). My H is self-employed and I would be the primary applicant for immigration / visas. I am hoping to find work with one of the Universities around GTA area. However - I certainly wouldn't restrict my search to this.

I am 34, unfortunately I’m too old to get over on a young person’s visa. We have been looking into this, literally for months trying to pinpoint information and deciding the best path to take is a challenge.

Has anyone moved over with similar circumstances? I am looking for advice on whether I should apply for jobs from here then try to go through express entry. Or do I come over on a standard tourist visa and look for jobs while there?

If anyone has any words of wisdom thank you very much in advance, we - me and H - really appreciate it!

Billie

UKsounding Mon 19-Jun-17 20:57:42

If you want an academic job, apply from the UK and don't move over here until you get one. Academic jobs are very, very hard to come by and are determined by who-you-know and publication/funding track record. Union seniority rules will make it almost impossible to get sessional lecturing. Universities are adept at the visa obtaining process.
Good luck

bakedbeansandtuna Tue 20-Jun-17 15:13:44

Thanks so much. I'm not restricting my search to universities - but that's the area I've been in up until now. I know how competitive it is these days though and to be honest I wouldn't expect an academic job in Canada - it's just a potential. I'm looking at policy/ government as a possibility too. First hurdle of course is the language test which they have you to first off here.

UKsounding Thu 22-Jun-17 03:30:31

Policy and government jobs are competitive too though, and again a lot of it is about who you know - although we call it "Canadian Experience" as it sounds better.
Basically, if you want something other than a graduate entry-level position you need to have either (a) something unique that no Canadian/permanent resident has to offer to an employer or (b) prepared to slog your way up with the 20-somethings yr olds who are (also) just starting out in the Canadian job market. Canada produces lots of its own sociology PhDs, and the lastest crop are walking in graduation ceremonies all over the country about now and looking for their first jobs...
I believe that there are visas for applicants who want to start a business in Canada, although you need to have capital to invest in the business. Have you looked into those?

Out2pasture Thu 22-Jun-17 03:40:30

I agree with uk sounding. my experience is with a slow job market those young people who can (most have family help) are just simply staying in education "waiting out" the job slump.

bakedbeansandtuna Fri 23-Jun-17 14:25:49

Well - I'd have. I'd have no issue with starting at the bottom somewhere - if my PhD only benefits me in terms of points to get in than so be it. Like anything worth having I don't expect it to be easy. My main concern is raising the funds to go as to be honest ideally I would go on a visiting visa and job hunt / start the formalities once over there. I'm very much aware of the who you know element.. you can't get away from that. I've lived there in the past and I just preferred life there, the way it is, you will know what I mean. What I'm trying to say is I'd pretty much take any job- my biggest fear is being seen as too overqualified for (and I know this sounds arrogant and I don't mean it to be) 'regular' jobs for example low level admin and so on. I'd be daft not to try and poke my toe into the uni/research areas but it's certainly not an expectation. I appreciate your advice and perspective of how things are over there.

bakedbeansandtuna Fri 23-Jun-17 14:30:39

Apologies for typos - on phone. Sadly the business idea wouldn't work as I have no capital.

Out2pasture Sat 24-Jun-17 05:09:48

I know people who "simplify" their resume and professional qualifications for everyday jobs. Canada is lovely, good luck OP.

UKsounding Sat 24-Jun-17 16:06:47

Workopolis.com or monster.ca , but bear in mind that competition is fierce for everything and the cost of rent in the GTA (and Vancouver) is high.

UKsounding Sat 24-Jun-17 16:21:26

Also, by law all Canadian employers have to give preference to job candidates who are already citizens/ landed immigrants. In reality, what happens (in my experience) is they put applications for a position in two piles (citizens/PR and non-runners others). They only look at the second pile if they can't make a short-list from the preferred category. They don't often go to the other pile for low-level/non-specialized jobs.
I suspect that you are going to have to apply to emigrate without a job, wait, and once you have status and emigrate here, you will be a viable job candidate.

bakedbeansandtuna Sun 25-Jun-17 23:44:41

Thank you to everyone. This is very helpful. Well, about to pay to do the English assessment - once that is done I can start the formal process.

UKsounding Mon 26-Jun-17 03:18:42

Best of luck with the whole process OP!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now