Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Madrid - any advice?

(3 Posts)
Novia Tue 16-May-17 17:19:59

We will be moving to Madrid with our 2 DDs (4 and 1.5) in September. My husband will be working and I will initially be settling the girls (though would like to work after a few months).

Wondered if anyone had any moving advice, especially logistics such as getting my NIE, best banks, etc? And groups/activities for the kids?

Also wondered if there was anyone local who might fancy meeting up?! (We will be based out of town near to Colmenar Viejo).

Novia Wed 17-May-17 07:52:00

Hopeful bump...!

margaritasbythesea Thu 18-May-17 09:07:06

I have just got my NIE. It took a long time for me to work out the process so I am glad to pass on the information.

To get it we needed a form available from the police station, to be presented when filled out along with proof of marriage, photos, passport, proof we could support ourselves ( this was a letter from employer) and either an S1 form or comprehensive health insurance. We needed the S1 passport s etc for each child.

We had everything translated and stamped (apostille).

You also need to register with the town hall when you arrive ( empadronimiento)

Things can be very confusing because there are several routes to go down and the person you may be talking to might not know them all. So, for example, just to live you can use your E111 for healthcare. If you want an nie you have to do what I have detailed. If you want more permanent residence there are further steps. It has been very difficult for us because we were told the wrong thing twice but hopefully this will at least help you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now