Talk

Advanced search

Anyone in Nairobi?

(19 Posts)
TheAntiBoop Tue 16-May-17 16:05:51

Dh has been talking about moving there for some time and I've always seen it as a pipe dream. However, due to some changes in our lives I've started to think about it a bit more serio but I have a few concerns

I can't drive - will this be a problem for me?
What is security like?
I won't be working - will this be a problem?

Kursk Tue 16-May-17 16:12:02

I have visited a few times, it's an amazing place. Very different,

Driving won't be a issue, if you want to drive then the test is super easy.

TheAntiBoop Tue 16-May-17 16:17:16

I can't drive rather than won't!!

I lived abroad as a child so I'm not concerned about the living in a very different place part. More about whether I could really fit in as an adult!

TheAntiBoop Thu 18-May-17 11:52:15

Bump

marcopront Thu 18-May-17 13:08:17

I used to live there. I love Kenya. My DD's dad is Kenya so we go back often.

What do you want to know?

TheAntiBoop Thu 18-May-17 15:57:51

Well really as in my op - how will I cope not being able to drive?

If I don't work will I find be it lonely?

EssentialHummus Thu 18-May-17 17:51:18

I was born there and go back to visit family regularly. It may sound cynical, but how well you cope with not driving depends on whether you have the financial means to pay a driver (as many expats do). Likewise security - not really an issue if you live in a (more expensive) gated suburb and can afford an askari at the gate.

There is a large expat community so you could meet others outside of work.

nannyafrica Thu 18-May-17 20:00:01

I am not there but wish I was!!!!!

TheAntiBoop Thu 18-May-17 21:06:06

Are the costs prohibitive if you're not in an expat basis?

BrexitSucks Thu 18-May-17 21:40:34

How will you get around if you can't drive?
My impression of Nairobi is that the mutatus were okay for safety, but probably lots of rules of thumb how to avoid trouble if you rely on the bus services. The city is horribly sprawled out. Govt run public transport non-existent, cycling unheard of, roads insanely congested at peak times. A lot of people walk though, you see walkers everywhere.

Colleagues talk about a 1 hour taxi ride to get from hotel to a restaurant 1 mile away; they were told they would be nuts to try to walk it, too unsafe downtown.

TheAntiBoop Thu 18-May-17 21:51:06

Well I guess that's the question I was asking!!

marcopront Fri 19-May-17 02:43:59

How do you get around at the moment without driving?

I used to get matatus for short distances. Now I tend to get taxis, if on my own I get an Uber, if with my ex he has taxis he uses regularly who know him. Traffic is horrible but that is the same if you are in a taxi or driving.

marcopront Fri 19-May-17 02:48:35

Do you have children? You could meet other Mums through the school. The school I worked at had a coffee shop where parents could hang out.
If you want an expat lifestyle you would need an expat salary but day to day life is not that expensive.
Security, yes can be an issue but if you have an Askari on the gate and take advice you'll be fine.

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 19-May-17 03:04:36

When I was there 20 years ago it was known as Nai-robbery. No idea if it's still considered very unsafe but it was at the time. I loved it though.

user1477249785 Fri 19-May-17 03:12:02

I used to live there. Not driving isn't a deal breaker because you can hire a full time driver for a really reasonable amount. Traffic is so bad that some people do that anyway just to take the stress out of the daily commute.

Not a problem not to be working there are large communities of spouses who don't.

Security is a mixed bag. If you take it seriously there is a lot you can do to minimize your risk. But you do need to take it seriously.

TheAntiBoop Fri 19-May-17 07:36:50

Thanks

I live in London so driving isn't really needed!

Lots to think about. Dh would be getting a 'local' job and he grew up in another part of Africa so we aren't desperate to join an expat community as such

TheAntiBoop Fri 19-May-17 07:36:58

Thanks

I live in London so driving isn't really needed!

Lots to think about. Dh would be getting a 'local' job and he grew up in another part of Africa so we aren't desperate to join an expat community as such

BrexitSucks Fri 19-May-17 09:30:18

What would OP's lifestyle actually be, Caring for children & running the house? Is that a satisfying prospect for you? How do you spend your time now & would like to still do. What support do you need now to do that, what do you need to find your life satisfying.

When I was SAHM I liked long walks, and lots of toddler groups. Nairobi lifestyle wouldn't suit me.

TheAntiBoop Fri 19-May-17 19:40:11

Well I work at the minute but in an area that isn't transferable. Part of moving would be to give us more family time and for me to figure out what I want to do whilst also having the opportunity to travel and give the kids a different perspective

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now