Talk

Advanced search

Doha Schools - expenses outside of fees?

(9 Posts)
socmonster Tue 16-May-17 12:26:14

Hi

Moving to Doha in September with DS, 4, and 5 month old DD (husband heading out in July). Just wondering outside of school fees, what can I reasonably expect to spend on uniforms, Books etc?. I have a friend who's son has just started at Sherborne. While their fees stretch beyond our allowance, she's said that there are no extra costs and uniforms can be bought cheaply second hand, so wondering if things might balance out a bit?

Also - does anyone have children at Phoenix Private School or heard good things about it? Fees seem extremely reasonable...

TIA

JoandMax Sat 20-May-17 05:22:05

Hi Socmonster, we moved out in January, my DC are at Kings College. As it's a new school there was no 2nd hand stuff so for the two of them I spent probably £500 on uniform, bags etc. DS1 has piano and guitar lessons in school too which are £125 each per term but that's obviously optional. They've both had a school trip which was £10/15 each.

If you plan on using school buses too they are quite expensive I think.

I don't know much about Phoenix - are you planning on coming for a visit before moving? I thought I had schools sorted from reading all the prospectuses but completely changed my mind when I got here and saw them!

habibihabibi Sat 20-May-17 06:18:37

School fees are expensive in Doha but the higher fees don't always equate to better quality.
With trips ,optional after school clubs , optional music and uniform for two at a British embassy community school with probably add another 6000 QAR a term. At 4 there won't be anything other than uniform and a few trips. I buy parts of the uniform in UK supermarkets but it isn't super expensive locally (unlike Sherborne)
There has been a big shift in population in the last few years and increasing numbers of local families are opting to send their children western international schools rather than Arabic schools.
If I was choosing a new school, I would give serious consideration to whether the school can support the EAL learners as well as challenge native speakers.
Phoenix is a small campus and I have heard good things about it, but now know of one British family whose children attend. I think it is the type of school that would be great if you are prepared to help out and be part of the school community .
Have you looked at DESS?
Also at 4 , your child could go to a kindergarten until a place came up elsewhere. TEK is excellent . www.tek.com.qa/

socmonster Sun 21-May-17 16:29:11

Thanks for your replies guys. There's a possibility of a place at both Phoenix and Sherborne. Nervous about accepting a place before I get to view the school, but then also nervous if I don't accept one and DS is left without a place somewhere for months on end. DBS have stopped taking applications altogether. I am applying for DESS but need to wait for son's UK passport to come through (currently has an Irish one) as only accepting UK passport holders onto waiting list - which currently has 15 children on it : /

socmonster Sun 21-May-17 16:32:36

*Forgot to say, I'm reluctant to start him just anywhere for a few months then pull him out to start at one of our preferred schools. He'll have had so much upheaval with the move, starting school new baby....Oh what to do! confused

habibihabibi Sun 21-May-17 16:50:18

Is it Pre -school or Reception?
I personallywould wait for DESS and do a bit of kindergarten if you are stuck .
Shifting schools is costly.

socmonster Sun 21-May-17 17:07:11

Reception. Just wish I knew how long we'd be waiting. Don't want him missing too much of reception. Would Kindergartens take a 4 year old? I'd read elsewhere they don't. Couldn't seem to get on the TEK website. How much are kindergartens usually?

habibihabibi Mon 22-May-17 03:40:31

Kindergartens do a Reception year . I have a friend who taught at TEK ( the terrible website Is not indicative of the school) and loved it .
So many people are leaving Doha I don't think the wait for DESS would be long. It has taken a bit of a backseat to Doha College lately but it is the loveliest British school . Parkhouse is also gaining popularity. Have you looked at it ?
Send me a PM if you would like .

JoandMax Mon 22-May-17 07:56:38

There are a lot of people leaving this summer that I'm sure you'll get a place somewhere, school is always the most stressful thing to sort out!!

Kindergartens will take a 4 year old too so that's definitely an option for you to look at.

Parkhouse is a lovely school and spaces available in some years so take a look at there too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now