Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Bangkok-Any tips?!

(6 Posts)
silentpool Fri 21-Apr-17 08:26:09

Hi, we will be moving to Bangkok next month. I am pretty familiar with Thailand/Asia in general because we have done some previous stints in the region. Just a couple of things, I am wondering about...

Does anyone live in Sathorn? I am trying to decide between there and Sukhumvit (Thonglor/Ekkamai). I am trying to get a sense for which area would be more of a neighbourhood. We are starting off in Sathorn anyway.

Also, is there a FB page for expats? Would prefer a more general one because we don't/can't have kids. Thanks!

Laptopwieldingharpy Sun 23-Apr-17 02:50:35

There was a thread a couple of years ago with posters in those areas. Perhaps you can PM them?
Both areas are nice with good condos tucked in the sois and away (somewhat) from the traffic noise.
Lots of expats as well as well as local families.
Sathon more spread out, ekamai/thonglo has a cluster of streets with a more villagey
Thaipropertyguide.com is a good search engine and their agents speak very good English and they can pick you up and show you around ( feed are paid by the landlord not you).

I'm moving in the summer too but further north and found a group specific to that area with li s of detailed info.
The FB page bangkok expats is a large community with lots of random posts but also lots of very knowledgeable long time expats with great info.

The website Bangkok Anglo info has a good directory too.

There a few meetup groups too if you are into certain sports.

The Anzac & AWA organise regular social events too.

silentpool Sun 23-Apr-17 11:20:57

Thanks! I appreciate it. I know I can figure it all out when I get there but its nice getting a feel for things in advance smile

farangatang Sun 23-Apr-17 11:29:28

We live in Sathorn and decent houses (for sensible rents) are few and far between. I believe the Thonglor/Ekkamai area is much better if you don't like condo living.
Sathorn Road, like Sukhumvit, can be a parking lot for much of the day, but the BTS line is pretty good. You will rely on taxis for quite a lot of journeys though.
Good luck with agents though - it is very hard to get one who will offer the same level of service/has the same level of knowledge about their properties as in the UK.
Sathorn has great restaurants and proximity to the river is nice, as the boats are another means of transport to avoid using the roads!
Good luck and enjoy the city - it's a great lifestyle here.

silentpool Mon 24-Apr-17 19:11:39

Thanks! We are pretty excited as we love Bangkok and have been trying to move there, for years!

We're happy with a condo actually. It decreases the odds of dealing with snakes and creepy crawlies, which I am totally not keen on.

I am a bit concerned about getting around, if we are not on the Sky Train. I think I may ultimately like Ekkamai better but seeing as we have a short term place in Sathorn, I will take the opportunity to see how we like it!

farangatang Tue 25-Apr-17 09:56:58

Good luck with your move silentpool. You're right that it's best to be closest to a Skytrain station as anything more than a 5-10 minute walk at this time of year will leave you sweating horrifically! Heat index is regularly in the 40s (sometimes 50s!) from March - June. Makes school sport interesting...
Sathorn feels a bit less commercial, crowded (and grotty) than Ekkamai for me, but Sukhumvit is the place to be for shopping and nightlife (and other questionable pursuits in some parts!). Exciting that you're finally getting the opportunity to discover for yourself!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now