Talk

Advanced search

Registering for a postal vote when you have tenants in your UK address?

(13 Posts)
pincha Wed 19-Apr-17 06:33:18

Filling in the form for a postal vote for the first time and wondering what will happen if I put my UK address on the form as where I'm registered to vote but our tenants also registered at that address. Can they add their names without affecting our registration? Might they deregister us when the letter comes round asking who is eligible to vote at that address?

Greaterthanthesumoftheparts Wed 19-Apr-17 06:37:23

I'm not really sure of the logistics but for you can vote when you move overseas for up to 15
Years but as far as I can tell you're always registered at the last address you're voted from. So for example, I'm registered to vote at an address I rented at in Wandsworth even though I have lived in Switzerland for 10 years. On the form there is space for the address you are registered at and a second space where you want your voting forms sent to. I hope that the various people that might have lived in that house over the last 10 years haven't had my details all this time! I guess they probably have!!

pincha Wed 19-Apr-17 06:40:38

Maybe once you register for a postal vote and they know you're overseas they don't ask you to confirm the details on that form. Or, if the tenants crossed us out and put their details in, they will still have the historical details and will know I haven't registered at another UK address.

Ah well, will just send the form off and see what happens!

Bringmesunshite Wed 19-Apr-17 06:50:25

The form lets you put a different address on it for postal communication.

Can you not just organise a proxy vote?

apotheke Wed 19-Apr-17 06:54:18

This is interesting. The one thing that jumps out at me is when I registered at our new address fairly recently, I was able to remove previous occupiers from being registered at that address. So whatever you do, make sure you let your tenants know you are adding yourself back on and not to delete you/ask if they did?

Jecan Wed 19-Apr-17 07:12:36

It doesn't affect who is living in the property. They just want to know your last address so that they can register your vote in the area you last lived in. All correspondence goes to your address overseas.

Plunkette Thu 20-Apr-17 21:12:11

I've just done it. The form they email you through asks for the address you are registered to vote at and a correspondence address.

It then asks why you need the correspondence address - I just put "not currently living in U.K.".

Any mail that comes for us to our U.K. house will be redirected anyway.

echt Fri 21-Apr-17 14:44:16

Yeah you can do this.

You'll probably need a proxy vote for the coming GE, though.

pincha Sun 23-Apr-17 04:28:28

Why echt? Is it too late for a postal vote? I sent the form off a couple of days ago, will it confuse things if I try to arrange a proxy vote now?

flyingkangaroos Sun 23-Apr-17 06:47:16

i thought that you needed a proxy vote in these circs

pincha Sun 23-Apr-17 07:09:51

Why kangaroos? I don't know much about this process - I wasn't expecting a major vote to happen while we were away!

I thought there were two options - a postal vote or a proxy. I'd rather fill in my own ballot if possible. But don't know if the timescales will allow it...

scaryteacher Sun 23-Apr-17 16:56:21

My Mum holds our proxies and then does them by post. Doing it with a proxy should mean that you can get your vote back in time as opposed to missing the chance to vote.

Jecan Sun 23-Apr-17 20:38:18

This is not so difficult & you can either do it with a proxy or by post and since the election isn't till June you can do either
as it says here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now