Talk

Advanced search

Buying a house in France

(12 Posts)
user1486321186 Mon 10-Apr-17 18:05:51

Firstly I apologise for the username. I had to re-register as I forgot all my log in details and now have no idea how to change the username as I use the app. It's annoying me!

We are keen to explore buying a house in France. We know some of the practicalities as we have friends who have done the same and I've spoken to an agent in the UK that have an overseas office (but v pricey ones!) but the problem is how to find a house. Are there any good estate agents / right move type websites to start with? We'd want somewhere in Brittany and costal (in reach of the coast at least, not a house on the seafront). Where do I start? Any pointers would be great. It's a slow burn idea - we aren't chomping to buy somewhere in the next few weeks but I'd like to find a reputable site that I can keep checking etc to see what's about.

Thanks

sayatidaknama Tue 11-Apr-17 16:50:17

Le Bon Coin is a good start. The French use it a lot to sell houses. Or Google agent immobilier in the areas you are interested in.

Branleuse Tue 11-Apr-17 16:51:26

www.green-acres.com/

I can spend HOURS on that site

user1486321186 Thu 13-Apr-17 21:03:54

Thank you both. Just the sort of sites I was looking for that I knew must exist but could t find! Now to waste hours browsing!!

jenpetronus Fri 14-Apr-17 13:57:37

I live near the South Coast of Brittany - if it's this coast your local at (I'm near Vannes) I'm happy to recommend several local estate agents? Also, if you're coming over to have a look, I'd recommend going directly to the notaire - less fees. ime the English language sites have a hefty mark up. Remember as well, there is no exclusivity for properties to be with one agent. When we were looking we would often see the same house with several (sometimes up to 5 or 6!) different agencies, all with different prices. Don't be talked into signing anything at all to say you'll only deal with a particular agent!

jenpetronus Fri 14-Apr-17 13:58:24

This coast you're LOOKING at, not local at hmm

spinassienne Fri 14-Apr-17 19:43:59

Seloger.com

tb Sat 15-Apr-17 15:56:55

There's also
www.fnaim.fr
www.pap.fr

and you could always search www.pagesjaunes.fr for agences immobilières in the area you're likely to be looking.

mydietstartsmonday Sat 15-Apr-17 16:03:22

It is our pipe dream too. We lust over properties on legged.com. I am now going to try the others mentioned above. We would like two properties one to rent out. Anyone any experience of doing this. It would just be to provide income so as not to touch the pension!

mydietstartsmonday Sat 15-Apr-17 16:03:46

Sorry leggett.com

BonjourMeDarlin Sat 15-Apr-17 16:06:05

Hope it's ok to link to my thread as I got some good advice.
smile
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/2889365-Buying-a-house-abroad

BonjourMeDarlin Wed 17-May-17 20:47:45

@user1486321186 how is your house search going? smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now