European Resident document /card

(11 Posts)
sayatidaknama Sun 02-Apr-17 11:36:36

Do any European dwellers know about this? Apparently after 5 years residency you are entitled to one that allows you to stay indefinitely or live elsewhere in Europe?? I've found the info confirming it but wonder if it will still apply after Brexit.

OP’s posts: |
Melassa Sun 02-Apr-17 22:01:05

Where I live it's 4 years residency as a EU citizen and I think 10 years for a non-EU citizen. You can't use it to travel to another country, it's only valid for the country that issued it.

The time necessary to qualify varies from country to country, but iirc the most common is 5 years. The residence requirement for citizenship tends to be longer and again, varies from country to country.

NB. You do tend to need to be working as even for the initial short term residency or renewal you have to show a contract or tax returns or other proof of income. There may be extenuating circumstances but I couldn't tell you what as I was always working and unmarried, plus it was a few years ago now. Having a child who is a citizen of the country you live in may be one.


lifeisunjust Sun 02-Apr-17 22:41:41

It s in Eu regs that 5 years in permanent residence in Eu and gives those with that right more protection. The UK issues residence and permanent residence to Eu and non Eu nationals

tb Mon 03-Apr-17 11:10:27

We applied for titres de séjour permanent in just before the Brexit vote. We'd been in France for nearly 10 years. All we had to do was to go along with passport photos, all our annual tax documents, EDF electricity bills and we got them.

In fact, we though it would be harder. It lasts for 10 years.

tb Mon 03-Apr-17 11:10:46


sayatidaknama Mon 03-Apr-17 13:05:12

tb, that sounds like the one. Did you go to the Prefecture to get it? Does it just allow you to live in France or anywhere in EU?

OP’s posts: |
amyboo Mon 03-Apr-17 13:40:18

Information is here:

It's 5 years continuous residency as a worker and you get a right to permanent residence in that country. It's an EU law, so logically is unlikely to apply to UK citizens post-Brexit.


sayatidaknama Mon 03-Apr-17 16:40:08

Yes thanks amyboo, I've seen that info, amongst others. I just really want to know if we'll still be applicable next Feb to get ours. Guess I need to speak to our Prefecture. Thanks all.

OP’s posts: |
amyboo Tue 04-Apr-17 06:35:54

Until the Brexit negotiations are complete (at least 2 years from now) your rights as an EU citizen continue to apply. So in February 2018 you'll be fine....

VintagePerfumista Tue 04-Apr-17 10:23:56

I've got one for Italy.

It never expires, but is only valid for 5 yrs. I've had it since about 2003.

They're just residence things though, don't confer nationality or allow you to travel.

tb Sat 15-Apr-17 15:59:37

We went to the préfecture to get it - the sous-préfecture didn't deal with it. It is only relevant for the departement that issues it, and has to be renewed.

The titre itself is free. However, if you let it expire you then need to pay to renew it. The main thing is to ensure that you get proper passport photos - the ones we took first at home weren't acceptable, so we had to go to Intermarché and get them done there.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in