Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Electronics on Planes from Middle East

(7 Posts)
RedSandYellowSand Tue 21-Mar-17 17:21:50

BBC saying UK will follow US on electronics in Cabin luggage

Just musing, not sure there will be answers at this point.
What's going on?? What's triggered this?
What happens if I'm transiting through one of the named airports, and my starting point doesn't highlight things?? They going to confiscate laptops like bottles of water?
What happens when my luggage (with a family of 4s tablets and kindles) has been tampered with?? Can't see insurance covering that.
Why is a bomb in the hold (and presumably it can be a bigger bomb, as no possible requirement to turn the machine on) so much safer than in the cabin?

Any thoughts?

Laptopwieldingharpy Wed 22-Mar-17 09:24:27

My only guess is just making it a little more difficult to travel to the U.K. Or US.
Without a valid explanation it is racial profiling disguised as a security concern.
Makes business travel particularly difficult.

ifink Wed 22-Mar-17 10:01:45

I would like to think that there is some explicit security intelligence gleaned recently that shows the next airplane type attack will involve laptops/ipads/tablets etc - the new rules are probably overkill in relation to that intelligence but hey, if its to keep us safe then what else is there to do. If its not explicit intelligence then it can only be political? doubt we will ever know exactly why...

Laptopwieldingharpy Wed 22-Mar-17 22:59:53

Possible leads
www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/03/21/what-is-the-logic-behind-trumps-new-electronics-ban-people-are-stumped/?utm_term=.9c7939d50436

ExitPursuedByUser54321 Wed 22-Mar-17 23:02:46

If you are transiting through the Middle East pop it in your hold baggage.

Although I understand Dubai is excluded as that is a popular tourist destination for the U.K.

As you were.

Laptopwieldingharpy Wed 22-Mar-17 23:02:48

And a security motive here perhaps?
www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/03/22/how-the-new-electronics-ban-serves-the-trump-agenda/?utm_term=.45aae3b5cb2d

cannotseeanend Thu 23-Mar-17 09:37:21

Don't pack laptops or tablets or put them in your hold luggage. It's not a difficult concept.
Bombs are triggered remotely...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now