Talk

Advanced search

Nottingham or Malmo, Sweden

(4 Posts)
buntymcfun Fri 03-Mar-17 22:25:46

We currently live in Barcelona, have been here for almost two years, but really struggling money wise. My OH is at last stage interviews for jobs in Nottingham and Sweden. Part of me wants to move back to the uk, especially because I'm also pregnant. I'm a bit fed up of struggling along somewhere I don't have enough language skills to understand what's going on all the time. But at the same time, I've enjoyed the adventure of living abroad and think my kids have also got a lot from it. He has asked me what I'd prefer to do, and I'm really not sure. Although having read some of the threads about living in Sweden here, I'm not sure if I'd like it there! Help!

Almondmilk Sun 26-Mar-17 18:49:48

I live in Sweden and I would advise you to really consider the language skills problems that you will have to face again...even if you can speak to almost everyone in English, they will expect you to learn and speak Swedish. And think about the weather. Otherwise it's a great place for kids...until they become teens and have nothing to do. I don't know Nottingham. Barcelona seems great. Sweden is much more expensive than Spain...

TonaldDrump Sun 02-Apr-17 22:12:38

You could also live in Copenhagen and your dh could commute. All the scandis have a reputation for being closed but the Danes are meant to be the Italians of Scandinavia!

SuperBeagle Sun 02-Apr-17 22:16:28

Malmo is getting a particularly bad rap at the moment.

But yes, Scandis do come across as quite closed off if you don't know their culture well. My DH is Norwegian. I've come to appreciate the way they do things over time, but it took a while to see beyond their immediate bluntness and stand-offishness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now