Advanced search

Teaching English in a French school (without the CAPES)

(10 Posts)
EmGee Thu 23-Feb-17 15:18:12

I'm looking for some up-to-date info on teaching English in France without the CAPES. I have a PGCE in MFL and also TEFL qualifications but am wondering, now that my kids are in school, about getting back into teaching in a school environment. I'm in the 78.

I don't have the CAPES and quail at the thought to trying to pass the bugger (am mid-forties so the days of writing essays are long behind me!). I've thought on and off about trying to do it since coming to France a decade ago but what with having kids and being a SAHM, it just never happened.

Has anyone done this? The friend of a friend who works in a 'collège' says they are crying out for English teachers.

spinassienne Fri 24-Feb-17 21:39:42

You could be a vacataire but you'd need a principal job for that. FWIW I know several MEEF (as the CAPES is now) students in their forties so it's not unthinkable. You could also try doing vacations at uni, maybe at St Quentin en Yvelines if you're out that way? I'm not sure about the private school system, I know they have a separate non-CAPES exam but not sure if they hire people with no French qualifications at all. Some of the international schools might, I knew someone who worked at SIS with just an English PCGE I think.

Madamfrog Sat 25-Feb-17 01:06:12

Do 200 hours as a vacataire and then become a contractuel(le) which is a better deal, at least you get a bit of choice. Doing the CAPES or the one for private schools ties you into the system and means you can end up anywhere because you won't have any points. Chat to the people at the Rectorat who deal with vacataires (you can look them up in the annuaire du Rectorat online) and get on their list.

spinassienne Sat 25-Feb-17 08:20:13

It seems that theoretically the PGCE should be recognised as equivalent to the CAPES under European law, but isn't, but if you do do the CAPES your teaching experience in the UK is taken into account in determining your ancienneté and therefore your pay:

That said, you'd probably be better of passing the CAFEP and teaching privately so you can choose where to go rather than being posted to the other end of the country with the CAPES. But what I'd really do in your shoes is try and get a job as a lecteur and then a maître de langues. Some unis do hire independent candidates - I was one myself many moons ago - and while it only lasts a few years it's a pretty cushy number. You could sign up to do an MA in whatever floats your boat at the same time.

spinassienne Sat 25-Feb-17 08:26:53

Oooh interesting, I had no idea this existed: there's a capes 'lite' for parents with three children, sportifs de haut niveau etc. Might suit you:

EmGee Sat 25-Feb-17 20:16:50

spinassienne yes I remember reading about this CAPES 'lite' when I was researching the CAPES a few years ago. Seems a bit unfair to me but I guess another advantage of having une famille nombreuse. Alas, I have only two kids and no plans for a third!!

EmGee Sat 25-Feb-17 20:17:41

Thank you for the links/advice smile

CadetRousselle Sun 05-Mar-17 20:50:54

Look into private and sous contrat schools as well - they have more flexibility in whom they hire.

BoboChic Sun 12-Mar-17 21:16:56

You should talk to the international sections in the first instance.

EIB is opening a new bilingual private school (hors contrat) in September. It's at Bougival, though you should contact head office at Boulevard Malesherbes in the 17th for recruitment info. They are going to be recruiting PGCE qualified teachers.

ViveLesVacances Tue 14-Mar-17 22:20:57

Watching with interest, Im thinking of giving the CAPES a crack next year! I actually signed up for this year, but I had a baby in the summer and really haven't had enough time to prepare for the exam properly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: