We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Thinking of moving to tenerife

(6 Posts)
Milliehuntermae5 Thu 23-Feb-17 11:05:38

Hi all,
I'm new to this, so hi πŸ‘‹πŸΌ
My partner and I are really considering moving to Tenerife, We have 3 children aged 8, 5 and 1.
I'm just seeing if anyone who has moved out there or abroad if they have any advice about schools, how your children have settled, the cost of living. And the language barrier. (We would learn Spanish tho! )We currently live 4 hrsaway from family and don't have any friends where we live. So don't think we'd struggle being lonely πŸ˜‚

Thanks in advance for any advice given😊

Gfplux Thu 23-Feb-17 17:21:10

You might want to try the forum on Tripadviser. I have seen a number of residents posting there.

Milliehuntermae5 Thu 23-Feb-17 18:13:16

Thank you smile

fussychica Tue 28-Feb-17 10:16:28

Moved to Spain when DS was 10, he's now 24!

Think carefully about moving to a smallish island. We loved Lanzarote and had holidayed there about 18 times but realised it wouldn't suit us for full time living so picked southern Spain instead, which gave us far more flexibility. Your kids should pick up the language very quickly at their age, particularly if they attend a state school. In fact you will need to ensure the youngest two learn to read and write well in English as they won't get this at school. Happy to help if you have any other queries. Good luck with your plans.

Vagabond Thu 02-Mar-17 14:56:07

Look also at Britishexpats.com - you'll get lots of advice there.

nannyafrica Mon 06-Mar-17 21:20:32

Like Fussychica, we moved to mainland Spain 6 months ago. We did look at Tenerife/Lanzarote but decided Island life was not for us.
6 months on and we are absolutely loving it. We have made more friends in the few months of being here then 3 and a half years in our last house in the UK. We know all the people in our apartment block (many leave thier doors open during the day). I volunteer 3 days a week for a Cancer Charity working in a shop, my 10 minute bike ride home take over half an hour because people stop me for a chat because I see them in the shop.
Where we live there is an Old Town, a Port area and a tourist beach area and there is always something going on, fireworks going off normally once a month.
There are good schools English and local Spanish. Also private nursery schools.
We rent a lovely large fully furnished 3 bed apartment 650 euro month.
Our bills are around 150/200 euros month including English tv/phone/internet. Food 80 euros week. We would spend Β£120 a week in the UK.
We only came out for a year but have decided to stay!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now