Talk

Advanced search

Moving back to Australia with breakables?

(11 Posts)
user123691 Wed 15-Feb-17 09:06:05

Hi,

DH and I are planning to move back to Australia next year ( very excited!) When I moved here, I shipped boxes of small items but no crockery or breakable items.
This time, I'm thinking of using a shipping container or move cube and taking furniture. I would really like to take my lovely dinnersets, glassware and bakeware as well as some figurines with me ( I have an addiction to Homewares ).

Did you take your China, porcelain, crystal with you and did any of it break? And did you use a container, move cube or boxes? Thanks!

susimoo Wed 15-Feb-17 12:47:22

We moved to Oz in 2011 and returned last year. We took everything we owned, including all our breakable. All survived both trips.

We used Allied Pickfords who were excellent throughout. They did the packing on both sides.

Good luck with your move.

susimoo Wed 15-Feb-17 12:47:56

Oops apologies. We had a container both ways.

user123691 Wed 15-Feb-17 12:54:11

Thank you. That's great to hear. smile

echt Wed 15-Feb-17 19:46:19

We used Anglo-Pacific to move our entire house contents and car. Everything was fine except, for some reason, the floor lamps with swinging arms did not survive.

echt Wed 15-Feb-17 19:46:58

Sorry, should have said it all went in one container, even the car.

Plunkette Thu 16-Feb-17 06:35:05

We took everything when we moved from the UK to the US. 40 ft container not one thing broken or damaged.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Thu 16-Feb-17 06:39:50

Yes we brought all crockery, glassware, ornaments etc.
Only things that didn't make it intact:
the front glass of my barometer was broken
a Portuguese ornamental plate was broken
and a piece of wooden furniture was scratched.

That was it, out of all our household goods. I think we had about 2/3 of a container, not a whole one (smallish house and we brought no white goods with us).

So long as you pack everything securely and well, there should be no breakages/damage.

SaudadeObama Thu 16-Feb-17 09:47:44

We shipped all our breakables to Brazil, including some really valuable antiques of my dad's. It all survived the trip. Pack it tight with newspaper and use hard plastic boxes for the breakable stuff.

JennyTaylior Thu 16-Feb-17 09:54:10

Moved with a container a few times.
Mostly ok, but the last move, with Pickfords, was not good. They packed books on top of a glass bowl which, of course broke; none of the boxes were full and well packed and were very battered when they arrived. We had a few breakages, but our excess meant it wasn't worth claiming in insurance sad

user123691 Thu 16-Feb-17 13:00:19

That's a great tip about using plastic boxes. I'm sorry to hear that Jenny sad. How aweful and careless of them. I think I will pack things myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now