Talk

Advanced search

Leaving the UK

(7 Posts)
lovelymoo Mon 26-Feb-07 14:30:24

We have decided that we want to leave england.

We have been talking about even before we had DC's, but have finally decided that we want to go for it.

We first need to decide on where we want to go DH is quite keen on the states but i think i would prefer somewhere in europe although america is tempting

Those of you have taken the plunge how did you find out about areas i.e schooling/houses/jobs etc
Am intrerested in anything you can tell me on where to look or about where you are

Thanks

mamama Mon 26-Feb-07 14:36:48

It depends what your circumstances are. It isn't as simple as just 'moving' - to go to the States, you will need a Visa. Some will allow both of you to work and some say only the Visa holder (not spouse) can work. One of you usually needs a job organised before a Visa will be issued.

Schools, housing, jobs etc varies enormously from State to State so it's hard to advise on this until you have somewhere specific in mind.

My experience of moving to the US is that, although a good experience, it was very hard work, very stressful, disheartening at times and I have always wanted to move back to the UK... but that's just me. I know others who have moved over here and never want to leave.

Just don't believe the hype about what a wonderful place the US is to live.

If you can give us a bit more info about your situation, job types, locations etc, more people maybe be able to help you out.

lovelymoo Mon 26-Feb-07 14:51:34

I am a part qualified accountant and My DH is a computer tech. I don't currently work and DD1 goes to a private nursery and will then move to the school and DD2 will start at the nursery in September and we would prob still want them to go to a private school. We plan on having another DC at some point in the next few years. We are Ok financially and depending on the location could afford to buy with no mortgage. i am tempted to rent our uk house out for a year and get a rental for us in case we did want to come back.

The states is such a massive place but appeals to me more than aus. We have visited the states a number of times but have always done the main towns- Orlando/vegas/LA/San fran/New york/Boston. We have never really been to a proper residential area except in florida as we have friends who lived there for a while

lynniep Mon 26-Feb-07 15:03:08

Have a look at the forums here

I used this site loads, both before and after our move to Sydney (we decided to come home in the end) Its really helpful to hear other peoples take on things - but its also useful from a 'practical' point of view - finding out answers to the questions you've asked above.

I will never regret our move - we only stayed 15 months and I knew in the end I needed to come home, but if you don't try you don't know, and a lot of people end up far happier in their new life and never want to return. So good luck with your planning!

lovelymoo Mon 26-Feb-07 16:33:04

Ok
I thought it was going to be a little harder than just packing your bags and going but oh my god i'm confused already where on earth do you start. Thought i had my mind made up and that we were going but it all look so complex, is there any companies you can contact that can help you get yourself sorted

mamama Mon 26-Feb-07 19:36:10

If you're thinking of the States, can your DH transfer with his company? Or get a similar job over here?

For many jobs, you have to be licensed in order to work and I think accountancy is one of those jobs. Each state has different rules about what qualifies and you may well have to retrain or take extra classes. Maybe you could have a look around to see what the guidelines are for the states you are considering (if you are thinking of working in accountancy when you move).

I would think carefully about the type of area you want to live - rural, urban, suburbs etc. Different parts of the US are very different, culturally, and of course the schools vary, as does health care, transport, climate etc. I have lived on the East Coast and in Chicago so if I can be of any help, I'd be glad to pass on more info. There are a few of us in the US if you need specific information. We have our house in the UK that we still rent out. It doesn't really make us much money but covers costs and is good to have when we come back.

DaddyCool Tue 27-Feb-07 15:29:07

the US is very very very hard to get in to.

Aus, NZ and Canada are more realistic options.

Aus & NZ is difficult skills wise but your DH should be ok and there processing times are short (1 to 2 years)

Canada is easy to get into but the processing times are sooooo long that it makes the move almost unrealistic..... 4 years before even hearing back if you aren't a spouse of a CDN.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: