Talk

Advanced search

Paris Primary school following UK curriculum

(15 Posts)
whysea Fri 27-Jan-17 22:06:13

Hello,
I am going to Paris next year, and I am looking at schools. My DC are 3 & 7. Clearly the younger one will go to a regular maternelle, but the older one should go somewhere compatible with the UK curriculum. Suggestions ? I have contacted EJM, they are quite positive, but it freaks me out that they ask for a WISC-IV test for 7 year olds : last thing I want is my daughter to start worrying about being smart enough. I am considering Kingsworth, and looking at earlier posts it seems ok, but has anyone actually been there?

cannotseeanend Fri 27-Jan-17 22:59:17

Why does your 7 year old have to go to a fee paying bilingual school?
If you are English speaking at home, they won't lose English by going for a regular French state and state subsidized school.

I have 3 children who've been educated in French. They are fully competent in English and you'd never know they've not learned English in school. It's perfectly possible for a 7 year old to return into English in 5 or 10 years time.

Bobochic Fri 27-Jan-17 23:37:37

If you want your DC to keep up with British English, EIB Monceau is a good bet. My bilingual DD (12) there from 3 to 11 and she is totally bilingual/biliterate. Some of the English teachers at EIB Monceau are fantastic and the school offers a very enriched curriculum - far and away better than a French state (or Catholic) primary.

whysea Sat 28-Jan-17 08:22:32

The issue is that I won't be in Paris for very long, just 7-8 month. My 7 years old will go back to her current school after that. Not to make the Paris experience too stressful, as I am told France and UK have different curricula (?) thus the fee paying school..

Bobochic Sat 28-Jan-17 13:17:04

If you are only in Paris for 7-8 months, do not bother with French - it will make your DC struggle for nothing.

Ancienchateau Sat 28-Jan-17 13:39:00

Agree with Bobochic. Send your DD to the ISP or BSP or another English speaking school. 7-8 months in a French or "bilingual" school will achieve nothing, except stress.

CadetRousselle Sat 28-Jan-17 20:48:04

Kingsworth has only been open for a couple of years so it's hard to know much about it but it certainly looks good on paper: would probably be fine for a year and cheaper than BSP or ISP

ukulelelover0204 Fri 07-Apr-17 18:00:47

kingsworth is a brilliant school, primary kids are taught equally in french and english and it gives the perfect balance. teachers are lovely, the kids are lovely, and the fact that it's such a small school gives such a loving environment and it's incredible how happy all the little ones are. 100% recommend it.

buzzie75019 Thu 07-Dec-17 15:54:07

Hello,

My daughter is 14, 9th grade (3ème in the French system), she would like to enrole in Kingsworth. We visited the school (Passy campus) and it looked great, but would someone have a child in this school who can tell me more about the relationships between pupils, and between pupils and teachers ?
Are they successful at IGCSE ?

Thanks a lot !!!
Buzzie

lifeisunjust Sun 10-Dec-17 17:35:09

The deputy head of Kingsworth has just been jailed for grooming a student. Sacked by EIM Victor Hugo and on the UK sex offenders register having been jailed for sex offences against boys for 6 years in 2006.

Yep sex offender information is supposed to be passed through the SIS2 Schengen information system (UK and France both members).

www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/freed-paedophile-julien-bertrand-gets-job-as-teacher-ck27rqbls

lifeisunjust Sun 10-Dec-17 17:52:42

Pretty shocking in fact that the head of Kingsworth didn't even bother using google - had he used google, he would have found plenty of evidence about his deputy and his criminal past in the UK and France. The head is even quoted online as saying he'd written a musical with Bertrand recently, which would have meant very close partnership, yet he didn't use elementary searching on google!!!!!!

www.ibtimes.co.uk/devil-paedophile-founds-private-school-paris-after-leaving-prison-1650915

Michelle1235678 Wed 07-Feb-18 14:45:55

Please don't jump too quickly to condemn Kingsworth.
Mr Bertrand left EIM (not under bad circumstances (at least publicly) to join with others to start Kingworth. As such, he would be the one "vetting" rather than being "vetted".
Also it is simply not true that a quick google search would have turned up the information. It didn't. And in fact, the article referenced was written long AFTER the school found out and ended ties with Mr Bertrand.
The school dealt with the entire matter in a quick and professional manner. They even brought in a counselor to work teachers and students.
It continues to be an excellent school. And the primary school is a very special place. Please call them and get a tour. Many kids are very happy there - even after not liking their previous schools.

lifeisunjust Wed 07-Feb-18 15:11:17

From 2006 and been on the internet for 12 years.
www.theguardian.com/uk/2006/apr/25/stevenmorris.uknews2

lifeisunjust Wed 07-Feb-18 15:12:29

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/paedo-hunters-622338

LillianGish Fri 09-Feb-18 22:29:06

Crikey - that’s a bit of a shocker. Slightly alarming that the current headmaster set up the school with this guy when even the most cursory check would have turned up his previous history (let alone an official check). I’m slightly surprised that word would not have got round from his previous school -Paris is a pretty small place when all is said and done. These were not old offences.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: