Talk

Advanced search

anyone in Canada/Nova Scotia?

(5 Posts)
flipflopson5thavenue Wed 04-Jan-17 12:18:12

Hi, this is a general question really.

DP is from Nova Scotia (has been in the UK for almost 20 years) and we have two DS, the 4.6yo has just started in Reception, and DS2 is 2.2yo. We live in London.

Over the years we've often talked about moving to Canada. I'd love to do it for a few years say, as a bit of an adventure, especially while the boys are little and primary education feels, well, more 'flexible' than secondary. I guess these are the years to do it also as my in laws are relatively young and fit and healthy and SUPER KEEN to help and be involved in the boys' upbringing/help with childcare (we don't have any parents/in laws near us so it's a long hard slog...).

I have a job that would allow me to take a sabbatical (of up to a year, but I know colleagues who have been able to extend this) so some of the logistics would be easier than others. DP is self-employed and could work from anywhere in the world in theory, but not sure how that would actually world in practical terms as most of the work is still really done face-to-face with colleagues.

Not sure what I'm asking really - maybe a general sense of others' experience of moving to Canada - maybe to be closer to family - and what it's like....?

Not sure how we'd ever have that push to finally make the decision to go....

UKsounding Thu 05-Jan-17 07:20:36

Where in Nova Scotia? It is a very large province, with a sparse population outside of a few towns. Could be a major culture shock if you are used to bright lights, big smoke... We turned down a job move to Halifax recently as it was too small-town feeling for us.

The landscape is very beautiful. It is common to meet people from Nova Scotia here in Toronto and it strikes me that they always want to go back -eventually, usually after they retire.

flipflopson5thavenue Thu 05-Jan-17 12:14:05

Hi it would be Halifax. My DP and family are from the Annapolis valley and my inlaws are still there but we'd move to downtown Halifax. I was born and raised in a big city so the culture shock worries me and I know Halifax isn't buzzing with job opportunities etc but I've been a few times and do get a fairly nice small-city vibe from it.

BeachyKeen Sun 15-Jan-17 04:30:42

I live in Halifax, moved here from Northern Ontario 5 years ago. Any questions get at me! It's a great little place, even though it is technically a city it has a town vibe.

MedicineHat Sun 15-Jan-17 16:09:03

We're in a small town on the south shore, within an hour from halifax. Lots of people commute from here. I also have a Canadian DH & we've lived in a bunch of big cities over here & in the UK. We love it here. I feel like I've found my home, a perfect blend of European & Canadian feel. Easy for family to visit from the UK too. Feel free to ask any questons!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now