Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

France. Var area. Living/deceased info about a relative?

(6 Posts)
Isabelle112 Sat 17-Dec-16 18:13:15

After a family rift (very sad), I desperately want to be able to speak to/meet up with my uncle who DH last spoke to in January this year. Uncle last known to be living in the Var area, France.
We tried phoning today - number goes to a voicemail which doesn't allow a message (and clearly not uncle's). Address comes up as a holiday let through booking.com but no contact information.
He lived with my aunt and we can't trace her, either. They had been involved in ex-pat activities but there, too, we're drawn a blank.

If I have to face the possiblity that he's died this year, does anyone know how I might find out? Or if he's in a residential home or hospital? There's no other family member whom I could ask.

French White Pages is still showing his old number and address and our email to him hasn't bounced but clearly he's not there. This is difficult but I so want to do something to heal an old rift before he dies (if he is alive, he'll be very old) or to pay my respects if he has. It's unlikely that he moved back to the UK because he is largely French and his wife is unlikely to have done so either. They'd been in France for many years.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

SagelyNodding Sat 17-Dec-16 18:16:55

Hmmm, what about a local Facebook page? Obvs if your uncle is very very old then he probably won't be on it, but maybe someone will know him on there? I'm in the Var and there are various local French and English pages in my area. Or the local mairie or police municipale if you are worried?

Isabelle112 Sat 17-Dec-16 18:19:39

The mairie or police are good suggestions - thanks, Sagely
We're trying a local English church as there were once, at least, members.

SagelyNodding Sat 17-Dec-16 19:54:01

Sounds like a very good idea! Good luck with it x

PlasticBertrand Mon 19-Dec-16 12:57:00

Local mairie should have a record if he's died. All deaths in our town are printed in the municipal magazine, which is available online. Worth looking to see if your town's is.

user1471428569 Tue 20-Dec-16 16:29:24

You could try the Anglo American group of Provence. They have over 400 families.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now