Talk

Advanced search

anyone chinese who knows the myth of the golden pig?

(5 Posts)
laksa Fri 16-Feb-07 12:07:09

Hi guys,

I just saw a programme which mentioned that this year is not just the year of the pig but is the year of the golden pig. My mum is eurasian singporean but when I asked her about this myth she had never heard of it.

Just wondered since I am currently pregnant and due in September. Does anyone believe that this is an especially lucky year?

xx

have also posted in pregnancy section.

FioFio Fri 16-Feb-07 12:09:43

Message withdrawn

laksa Fri 16-Feb-07 12:15:22

hi fio fio,

have googled but it seems to be a fortune teller myth rather than an official chinese new year fact. so was just curious to know whether most chinese would agree that it was an especially luck year or not.

I am not chinese either but my mum is half so it interests me.

would be cool if it were true but am glad I'm not living in shanghai as read an aricle that said the maternity wards are predicted to be fuller this year and it could result in school classrooms being fuller for that year etc.

xx

breadgirl Fri 16-Feb-07 12:28:38

I have never heard of it, but i'm not clued up on all this sort of stuff.
Just asked my dh but he's not sure .. he thinks it's just a saying ..

MuckyAnthea Sun 25-Feb-07 11:05:08

Apparantly, its actually the year of the fire pig, but has been advertised as 'golden' as it makes it more commercial, ie - people will spend more money on gold etc, so shop keepers capitalise on it. It is a lucky year to have children too! So congratulations Laksa!!

Muckyanthea reporting from Shanghai!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now