In trouble in France: where can she get help?

(9 Posts)
lostinfrance2016 Fri 25-Nov-16 09:50:18

I met a British woman recently who's living in France and in a really horrible situation. Don't want to give too many details, but basically her marriage has deteriorated to the point where they are (physically) fighting and heading for a divorce. She has zero support here - she can't afford a lawyer, doesn't speak French very well and struggles to understand conversations, she has no close friends as she's had terrible PND since arriving here less than a year ago. She has a baby, so can't just up sticks and move to the UK.

Does anyone know where she can turn for support? Are the PMI / social workers obliged to communicate with foreign nationals in their own language? Is there such a thing as legal aid here? Or the equivalent of a Citizens Advice Bureau? Women's Aid?

OP’s posts: |
OlennasWimple Fri 25-Nov-16 12:55:33

Try the British embassy for help sign-posting towards the agencies that can help?

Laptopwieldingharpy Fri 25-Nov-16 13:13:47

Where is she? Big city or small town?
Is the husband french?

Hobbitch Fri 25-Nov-16 13:19:13

Here is a link for the equivalent of Women's Aid. They offer free legal advice. I'm sure they'll have someone who speaks English.

lostinfrance2016 Fri 25-Nov-16 14:27:45

Thank you so much. She's in a big city, and her husband is neither French nor British (he's not European).

OP’s posts: |
PlasticBertrand Sat 26-Nov-16 13:49:04

If she's in paris she should get in touch with Message Paris. There's also a listening helpline in English, SOS something, the info will probably be on the fusac website.

pimmsy Thu 01-Dec-16 20:53:04

has your friend found help yet ?


jenpetronus Thu 01-Dec-16 21:10:17

There are a couple of English speaking groups for mums on FB which are really supportive too - Mums Space France and Ladies in France Together are the two I know of, your friend may already be a member?

lostinfrance2016 Sat 03-Dec-16 21:05:04

Yes she has, kind of. its still a very messy situation, but she's managed to get a lawyer at least. Thanks.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in