Talk

Advanced search

In trouble in France: where can she get help?

(9 Posts)
lostinfrance2016 Fri 25-Nov-16 09:50:18

I met a British woman recently who's living in France and in a really horrible situation. Don't want to give too many details, but basically her marriage has deteriorated to the point where they are (physically) fighting and heading for a divorce. She has zero support here - she can't afford a lawyer, doesn't speak French very well and struggles to understand conversations, she has no close friends as she's had terrible PND since arriving here less than a year ago. She has a baby, so can't just up sticks and move to the UK.

Does anyone know where she can turn for support? Are the PMI / social workers obliged to communicate with foreign nationals in their own language? Is there such a thing as legal aid here? Or the equivalent of a Citizens Advice Bureau? Women's Aid?

OlennasWimple Fri 25-Nov-16 12:55:33

Try the British embassy for help sign-posting towards the agencies that can help?

Laptopwieldingharpy Fri 25-Nov-16 13:13:47

Where is she? Big city or small town?
Is the husband french?

Hobbitch Fri 25-Nov-16 13:19:13

Here is a link for the equivalent of Women's Aid. They offer free legal advice. I'm sure they'll have someone who speaks English.

www.infofemmes.com/v2/p/Contact/Liste-des-CIDFF/73

lostinfrance2016 Fri 25-Nov-16 14:27:45

Thank you so much. She's in a big city, and her husband is neither French nor British (he's not European).

PlasticBertrand Sat 26-Nov-16 13:49:04

If she's in paris she should get in touch with Message Paris. There's also a listening helpline in English, SOS something, the info will probably be on the fusac website.

pimmsy Thu 01-Dec-16 20:53:04

has your friend found help yet ?

jenpetronus Thu 01-Dec-16 21:10:17

There are a couple of English speaking groups for mums on FB which are really supportive too - Mums Space France and Ladies in France Together are the two I know of, your friend may already be a member?

lostinfrance2016 Sat 03-Dec-16 21:05:04

Yes she has, kind of. its still a very messy situation, but she's managed to get a lawyer at least. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now