Advanced search

Car insurance when back in the UK on holiday

(5 Posts)
LeonardInTheArgosBag Sun 28-Aug-16 00:08:52

I've been trying to find out about this but there's lots of conflicting info online.

At the end of our contract we'd like to go back to the UK for a few months. We'd buy a car to get around in. What is the deal with insurance if we're non resident in the UK? And I also read that if we've been abroad for a while our licences might not be valid?

specialsubject Sun 28-Aug-16 12:24:26

Your licence will be valid if in date. Insurance is going to be pricey but there are firms who provide it for tourists - look for backpacker car insurance or similar.

Ohthepressure Sun 28-Aug-16 14:49:42

What address does your licence have on it - do you still own the poerty or have a connection with it? I have heard that there is a requirement for you to be a UK resident to drive on a UK licence so that might ned to be checked. What about your overseas licence, can you use that?

MyFriendsCallMeOh Sun 28-Aug-16 20:40:14

Google long term rentals or short term leasing. By the time you've paid for insurance and covered depreciation, road tax and any repairs / maintenance, it may well work out cheaper. No UK licence issues either

LeonardInTheArgosBag Sun 28-Aug-16 23:49:04

Thanks for the replies. I have done a bit more googling and it looks like the requirement to be a resident for your licence to be valid is a bit of an urban myth. So that's good! We don't have overseas licences, just UK ones.

Long term rental isn't an option but I haven't heard of short term leasing - will have a nosey. Cheers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now