Advanced search

Considering moving to Canada - can I get a student Visa to do an MA and then apply for work?

(6 Posts)
JeffreyNeedsAHobby Fri 22-Jul-16 13:13:47

In less than 2 years I will be free to move away from GB (something that has been playing on my mind particularly since Brexit). I would be studying an MA in epidemiology potentially and was wondering if it is possible to get a student visa as a mature student and relocate with my DC?

If I manage this am I allowed to apply for jobs whilst over there so that the stay could be made permanent? Also how would I go about schooling - all kids will be of school age.

What else do I need to look into? I have a house here that I would rent out while we are over there.

Thanks in advance for all advice!

danTDM Fri 22-Jul-16 19:53:27

I don't know about your particular situation but I would find it ver, very unlikely indeed.

I married a Canadian, in Canada and was told it would be a two year wait and had a huge book of forms to fill in, even after the (expensive) medical and me speaking fluent French and my wealthy husband sponsoring me . I was it was a long wait. They are VERY strict about visas.

I presume you speak French? Have a sponser? Children speak French?

Good luck

JeffreyNeedsAHobby Fri 22-Jul-16 23:10:34

I do speak French, could get a sponser (they accept a person who is Canadian and lives there who has known me my whole life?) Children speak basic French - none of us are fluent... So, better to apply for a job outright and forget the MA?

costamum Sun 24-Jul-16 04:02:04

Yes you can do it. I came over here on a study permit which included a work placement therefore I was also given an open work permit. Once my placement was over I was a offered a job in the company. As soon as I graduated I applied for a Postgraduate Work Permit which is valid for the length of your course. I also brought over my 2 DC who are 11 and 15..they were included on my study permit and are registered at local schools. So far so good! I think it is a case of taking it one step at a time. Once you get offered a permanent job you can start the process of applying via the Express Entry. I am not at that stage yet but hope to do this after September. Hope this helps!!

lamprey42 Sun 24-Jul-16 10:42:54

As Costa mum says you can get study permit then the time studying in Canada will count towards points for express entry. You can also get points for French but not entirely necessary as first language can be English or french (unless you are planning on Quebec which has different rules). Presume you've looked on the CIC website? They have a good tool for finding which permit.

JeffreyNeedsAHobby Tue 02-Aug-16 10:39:28

Thanks guys - only just caught up with the thread. As I can't do anything for 2 years I'm still testing the waters. I did look at the CIC site but will go back and look further. Weirdly enough someone who is poaching workers for NZ and I had a very chance meeting a couple of days ago and she suggested going I am now looking at both options, as she would be able to do the legwork.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now