Talk

Advanced search

Moving to NZ - where to start?

(10 Posts)
Dolly80 Fri 24-Jun-16 08:25:52

Partner is from NZ, has ILTR in the UK. We're getting married later in the year. Thinking of moving to NZ in the future, where do we start with planning etc? My first priority is to get the kids NZ passports and after the wedding start saving. Anything else?

vvviola Fri 24-Jun-16 09:08:35

If you will need to apply for residency, start collecting evidence of your relationship, and living together. We had been together 6 years and had two children but because we didn't have joint bills/tenancy agreement (our house came with my job, so it was only my name on things), we had a very hard time "proving" our relationship. In the end, it took a letter from a senior person in the NZ embassy who we knew socially.

And stock up on teabags. NZ tea is like dishwater grin

Dolly80 Fri 24-Jun-16 09:38:06

We've had joint bills/account for 2 years now but I will ensure I keep evidence etc. I'll save stockpiling teabags until nearer the time we are ready to move grin

kiwidreamer Fri 24-Jun-16 19:16:38

We are currently waiting on our kids NZ citizenship documents, forms were very straight forward and fee was reasonable takes about six weeks I think, you can apply for passports at the same time. I would get it sorted sooner than later, there is so much to think about with immigrating but that part is relatively simple, your DH will do the application, will need a kiwi passport holder referee who has known the kids for a certain time frame OR a British passport holder that is a lawyer, teacher, police officer etc etc

Is your partner eligible for British citizenship? Get the ball rolling on that too as it is much more of a process, do the joint nationality and passport checking service at your local council. Its pricey but will give you all the best flexibility in the future, can take 3-6mths or longer if issues with illegal stays etc

habibihabibi Sat 25-Jun-16 06:51:11

We have just done my children's NZ citizenship by descent. It was all processed in less than 3 weeks and the only documentation needed was their birth certificates and kiwi parent's passport number or birth certificate.

As we have been living abroad (outside NZ) it seems we need to prove 5 years of relationship before the spouse/partner permanent residency can be granted. However the spouse can enter NZ on another visa and apply once there.

I agree with kiwidreamer, do sort out the British citizenship for your DP. Holding dual nationality is never going to be something you will regret.

We aren't even considering NZ at the moment but all the Brexit nonsense has made me get my shit together as you never know when a government is going to change their rules .

Dolly80 Fri 01-Jul-16 07:18:09

Thanks everyone. Quite similarly to you habib we're not considering going just yet but the current political climate has encouraged me to get my shit together.

My partners still umming and ahhing about British citizenship but would prob be good long term (short term the £1200 fee is painful!)

brassywind Fri 01-Jul-16 08:14:57

Yep sort the children's passports and your residency status asap.

NZ is great. We've been here about 6 years and pretty glad we are here with all the brexit nonsense going on.

kiwidreamer Fri 01-Jul-16 21:45:32

British citizenship can take 3-6mths so its better to get it kicked off sooner than later in case your plans need to change... keeping in mind you must apply with the intent to remain in the UK for the foreseeable future so do it now before you cross into a grey area. It is a lot of money but it really will give your family unit the most flexibility possible.

kiwidreamer Fri 01-Jul-16 21:46:43

*3-6mths or much longer for some people

thetoothfairywhoforgot Tue 05-Jul-16 03:49:04

Agree it is worth doing your OH's citizenship now. I have pals in NZ who would like to take kiwi OH's back to the UK for a few years but can't as they are stay at home mums and don't have an income.

Do you have jobs that are transferable?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now