Advanced search

Registering for NHS Number when born abroad?

(14 Posts)
Relic4 Wed 27-Apr-16 10:12:43

My son is British by decent (born abroad to a British father and foreign mother), he has a consular birth registration certificate (registered abroad) and has a UK passport.

We are going back to the UK and we'd like him to have a few health checks, for this he'll need an NHS number. I can't find any information regarding this, does anyone know how we go about registering for a NHS number?

Many Thanks.

AveEldon Wed 27-Apr-16 12:06:28

Are you visiting or moving back?

KP86 Wed 27-Apr-16 12:10:05

You get your NHS number when you first register at a GP, but you need proof of a permanent address to register.

specialsubject Wed 27-Apr-16 12:22:49

nationality irrelevant for NHS use, it is a residence-based system.

if you are just visiting the UK you'll need to pay. If you are moving back permanently, you can use the NHS - join the queue.

gingermary Wed 27-Apr-16 12:32:19

Im not sure but think you have to be resident in th UK. I am British and now live overseas and my children have dual nationality, born overseas. On a visit home I was unwell and visited my mums Gp, I had to fill in a form to say I was resident overseas and would have paid except I was pregnant so it was free. If my children needed healthcare in the uk I would expect to pay. I have another British friend also resident overseas who had some health issues she would have to return to the uk and register with a residential address to seek treatment there. Perhaps someone else will be able to offer clarity on the rules

AveEldon Wed 27-Apr-16 14:06:01

If you are just visiting then you should pay - if you have an EHIC card from another EU country then you should be covered

SissySpacekAteMyHamster Wed 27-Apr-16 14:07:52

My daughter was born abroad. When we moved back to UK and signed up with a surgery she was automatically given a number.

fatowl Wed 27-Apr-16 15:28:33

It's incredibly easy (my DDs both moved back to UK in last few years), register at a GP and get one.
But you do need a permanent address and be settling permanently (not visiting)

specialsubject Wed 27-Apr-16 17:43:06

the rules:

Relic4 Thu 28-Apr-16 02:56:00

Thanks for the replies, they're quite conclusive and seems rather straight forward. We'll only be visiting this time, I thought I'd try and be pro-active but will register on-site


specialsubject Thu 28-Apr-16 10:22:40

Just visiting, no NHS number. Use your travel insurance and / or ehic to pay

SavoyCabbage Thu 28-Apr-16 10:29:19

Once when we were visiting the uk (I am British and so is dd) we needed to get dd a new epipen and (quite rightly) had to pay for the appointment and the epipen.

When we returned permanently we registered with the GP again. We had to pay for dd's new glasses as we had to be here for three months to get her free ones.

Penfold007 Thu 28-Apr-16 10:47:20

Relic4 your family are not eligible for NHS treatment without payment. You will be charged 150% of the NHS national tariff. It's essential that you have adequate health insurance.

JazzApple Thu 28-Apr-16 16:19:10

'Register on site' for what?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now