Advanced search

Canada - visa required for children when on temporary work permit?

(5 Posts)
lamprey42 Tue 05-Apr-16 21:28:12

I am wading through the CIC website currently but thought someone on here might have recent experience.

I have just got a positive dual intent LMIA for a job and so am applying for both a work permit and PR. My husband is applying for an open work visa in the same application. I can't work out if our kids need a visa (pre-school age). The CIC website says they do not need a study visa as they are dependants of someone with a work permit. However, as far as I can work out UK citizens can only stay 6 months without a visa.

Hopefully this will become clearer when I look through everything again tomorrow but any advice much appreciated.

ksb76 Wed 06-Apr-16 01:39:51

We are here on a work visa and my two have a visa and permission to be educated here. Will check in our documentation when I get home exactly what they have. We just got our visas at the airport when we arrived so there was no additional dependent visa paperwork that they needed though.

lamprey42 Wed 06-Apr-16 10:44:55

Thanks ksb79. I thought that might be the case but finding the website quite confusing. I don't think they need study visas as currently 3 so not even kindergarten for a while but wanted to make sure we had done the right paperwork for them.

westcoastnortherneragain Wed 04-May-16 03:02:34

if you are going as a family they will get a visa based on what ever one your DH and you have, no need for a study visa

lamprey42 Thu 05-May-16 20:56:42

Thanks westcoast that's what we concluded in the end. Didn't want to get it wrong and be turned away on arrival!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now