Talk

Advanced search

Moving to New Jersey

(6 Posts)
hilcal Mon 28-Mar-16 21:41:26

Hi
We are moving to New Jersey and wondered if any of you had any thoughts or advice to share with us.
We have 2 kids aged 3 and 5yrs so schools are important. My husband will be working in Journal Square, Jersey City and Mid town Manhattan (Park Avenue/ 32nd).
Looking ideally for a commute no longer than an hour and a bit of space, nice community feel.
Any suggestions? Thanks so much.

Florajane Sun 03-Apr-16 03:47:02

Hi, I live in jersey city and love it. Great restaurants, parks and definitely a strong community feeling. It is all apartment living though so if you want a house you need to look to the suburbs. The zip code 07302 is downtown JC and it's all pretty nice. Hamilton Park is fab and Van Vorst Park and surroundings are good too. I wouldn't live in Journal Square at present. It's up and coming but not there yet and you'd be coming downtown all the time anyway. There are lots of private schools but I have been very happy with public pre k for my 4 year old and will send him to public kindergarten too. The path train takes 20 minutes to 33rd street so the commute is easy but rents are high because of this and all the amenities we have. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!

Out2pasture Sun 03-Apr-16 05:30:35

My grandparents lived in Wayne. 20 minutes from NYC. Some areas are nicer than others.

hilcal Tue 05-Apr-16 12:16:45

Thank you! Good to hear your experiences there are good. Thinking we need a bit of space so at mo looking at Summit in NJ and surrounds and its v nice. Great schools too.
Thanks for your reply.

Florajane Tue 05-Apr-16 22:48:20

I have a friend in Summit and they love it. Fairly international for a suburb and things to do. I've heard the trains have problems quite often but 2 lines run through it so that helps I think. Other nice suburbs are Maplewood, Montclair and Westfield.

noodlechops8to11 Fri 08-Apr-16 02:28:09

Hi. We moved to Summit from the UK in December 2015 with our two children aged 9 and 12. It is a really lovely town with a strong community and good transport links and we really enjoy living here. Please feel free to message me if there's anything I might be able to help you with-there is always so much to consider with a family relocation!
Good luck with everything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now