Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bereft - DC to spend July overseas WWYD ?

(3 Posts)
guihailin Tue 22-Mar-16 12:35:25

My DC will definitely spend the month of July overseas with their grandparents at their home. They are about 10 and this is the first time ever. DH will take them there. I'm feeling bereft at the very idea of their departure, especially the night they go to the airport. Any help or ideas please if you've done this yourself, to do ? I think I'll feel very lonely and empty.

pippistrelle Wed 23-Mar-16 08:52:16

They will leave an empty nest, I'm sure, OP.

But what I would do is make sure I had plenty of plans in place to use the time, things that are tricky with children around. Catching up with friends in the evenings, seeing 15 and 18 rated films (or just any film that isn't animated!). Or, plan a big project like redecorating the house or revamping the garden. Fill your time constructively with all those things you've been meaning to get around to, but never seem to find the time for.

Will your husband be away with them for the whole time or back with you? In which case there are lots of other possibilities.

I know it must seem like something that's looming in front of you, but it could be a positive thing in many ways - for your children and for you. I'm sure you'll find the positives, and they'll be back before you know it.

tomatoIzzy Wed 23-Mar-16 13:56:02

My oldest two DC's flew to London to spend a month with their grandparents, about the same age.

It was really hard the night they went because you have 0 communication and have to wait until the next day and you get the call from the grandparents at the other end.

The month passes really fast and before you know it they will be back. The airlines look after minors really well and my two really enjoyed the freedom and excitement of travelling alone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now