Talk

Advanced search

Anyone in Shanghai? Or in China generally?

(4 Posts)
PollyCazaletWannabe Mon 14-Mar-16 09:03:27

Hi all. I'm a relative newbie in Shanghai, having arrived last August. My fiance and I are getting married this year and we would like to start trying for a baby, but I'm pretty anxious about lots of things related to pregnancy, birth and bringing up DC here and was wondering whether any mumsnetters are here and would like to chat?

Laptopwieldingharpy Mon 14-Mar-16 10:55:17

Hello! I'm in HK and happy to chat.
There is a fb group called healthy living asia which is HK based. It is a community of health practitioners & patients.things like what produce contain most pesticides etc.... Lots of info there without too much scaremongering.
Most people generally stay clear of local meat, eggs, fruit, veg, eggs even with an "organic" stamp.
Don't trust local milk powders. Breastfeeding definitely best around here if you can.
And then there is air pollution. an air purifier in the baby's room is always a good idea.

PollyCazaletWannabe Mon 14-Mar-16 11:55:47

Thanks- I'll look that up. I had thought of an air purifier but was still debating bf vs ff, so that's useful info.
Lucky you being in HK- I was there for work recently and it's lovely! How long have you been here?

ShanghaiDiva Tue 15-Mar-16 07:19:50

Despite the name I am not in Shanghai but have lived in China since 2008. My daughter was 2 when we moved here.
Shanghai United is a great hospital and I know several women who have had their children there. Buying formula in China can be tricky and I have several Chinese friends who would not trust Chinese brands. Imported brands are expensive and there are restrictions between HK and China for bringing formula into the mainland. You can always start to stock up when you or your fiance leaves the country on business.
DD was 2 when we arrived and she has not had any health issues, but do make sure you have comprehensive health insurance and personally I am pro-vaccination. We have an SOS clinic where I live and go there for routines GP visits and have in the past attended local Chinese hospitals for MRI's, x-rays etc but for surgery the preferred option is evacuation to Hong Kong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now