Talk

Advanced search

For those of you who have moved to a hot country,

(17 Posts)
Alligatorpie Sat 20-Feb-16 07:55:07

What did you do with your winter clothes? We have decided we will only go home in the summer now, so won't need winter clothes or boots. We have no intention of ever going home to live.
I would love to give everything away, but worry I will regret it.
What did you do and do you feel it was the right decision? Thanks

lapcat Sun 28-Feb-16 05:53:39

Mine are mostly in a box at my parents', however the last couple of times I've visited I've got rid of a few things.

Will you ever visit a cold country for holidays etc? Will the country you move have cooler periods? If found that now I'm used to the climate (summer 25-40 degrees and winter 10-20 degrees) 15degrees feels quite cold and I do wear a few heavier items.

If you really can't see that you'll ever use the winter clothes again then the sensible thing would be to get rid of them rather than them cluttering up your or someone else's house.

Archduke Sun 28-Feb-16 06:12:26

Are you moving to the tropics? I live in Australia where it's hot or warm but we do still get cold winters, so needed to keep my winter gear.

Mind you like lapcat says you do acclimatise, I wore my lovely soft thick black tights to work last week when it was 24 degrees grin

ohtobeanonymous Sun 28-Feb-16 12:07:07

We each packed a favourite coat, brought a pair of jeans and a jumper each and gave away everything else. That way we figure if we ever go anywhere cold again, we have something to wear to go shopping in...and we have worn the jumpers when it dipped below 20 degrees last month - felt FREEZING.

Oh, and we also brought all our ski gear because it's easy to fly to countries for good skiing from SEA!

TerrorAustralis Sun 28-Feb-16 14:45:16

Keep some. You might visit cold places that aren't home (so take ski gear if you have it). In hot countries air-conditioning in offices, shopping malls and cinemas can be freezing, so at the very least a couple of cardigans or jumpers and some jeans or long trousers are indispensable.

SquinkiesRule Mon 29-Feb-16 08:30:50

Keep some, we lived in hot country, and once we were used to it found the winters felt a bit cold and wore jeans, jumpers and a coat.

Lweji Mon 29-Feb-16 08:40:39

Have you already moved?
How hot is it?
Are you confident you won't ever have to travel home during winter?
Imagine a sick relative and having to worry about buying warm clothes in top of it. Or a wedding and the winter clothes adding to the expense.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Mon 29-Feb-16 11:46:01

Kept nearly all of mine, very relieved to rediscover them 5 years later when we relocated to a cooler country. Still had to buy lots of winter clothes for the kids who had never been to a cold country or visited the uk in winter though....

MadamDeathstare Tue 01-Mar-16 03:04:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JoandMax Tue 01-Mar-16 03:16:49

I kept a few bits (one decent coat, pair of boots, couple of jumpers) but got rid of most stuff. We are coming back in a couple of weeks so will need them......

My mums bought the kids some clothes in sales in supermarkets/primary mostly - don't want to spend loads on a few weeks wear that they'll grow out of before we get a chance to use it again!

maracuya Tue 01-Mar-16 04:27:51

I have some but not many - I go back to a cold climate in winter about once a year so they have come in handy. That being said, if I ever move back somewhere with a 'real winter,' I'll need to buy new coats and boots as mine will be horribly outdated by then.

Bambambini Tue 01-Mar-16 04:39:12

Keep it, the cinema can be freezing.

WhereTheFuckIsMyFuckingCoat Tue 01-Mar-16 05:24:36

Yep, keep it! I jammed a recycle charity bin full of coats, jackets, jumpers etc, only to discover that yes, after a summer of 30-45 degrees, 18 in the winter is flipping freezing!! And because it's usually so warm, the quality of coats etc is rubbish and they cost an arm and a leg.

I still think fondly of some of my gorgeous coats!!

Alligatorpie Tue 01-Mar-16 05:54:09

Thanks. We are moving to southern Thailand, so don't expect it to ever get cold enough for winter coats. I know we will need hoddies, and jeans for colder nigths / cinemas so am keeing them. Will send a bag to my in-laws, just in case we ever have to go back in the winter.

Yakari Tue 01-Mar-16 06:05:35

Ok wild guess but with a name like Alligatorpie - do you have anything to do with Canada? If so dear lord keep some - any unplanned trip back to Canada outside summer you'll need them!

For all the reasons above I agree keep a small selection especially anything that won't age too much. But also because you may find you travel elsewhere and need them - once settled in Thailand there's many options Japan, China, Korea, Australia, New Zealand plus others, all could mean needing warmer clothes depending on when you visited

Apartments can be smaller in Asia, so we have a storage locker where we keep suitcases and various boxed up goods, its air conditioned and dehumidified as well as relatively cheap. Everything is kept in suitcases and its really easy to access when needed.

pilpiloni Wed 02-Mar-16 01:30:10

Yeah, id agree about keeping some stuff. Aside from travel further afield, you might go up to the highlands in Malaysia or Thailand and be very grateful for some winter wear!

Alligatorpie Sat 05-Mar-16 23:46:43

Ha-ha Yakari - how did you know? Yes, I am Canadian. You must be as well, or do you like there now?
Thanks for all the responses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now