Taking six months out, living very cheaply. Ideas??

(10 Posts)
ChickyChickyParmParm Fri 12-Feb-16 14:06:48

We've got a six month break coming up soon (large gap between DH's contracts).

We're thinking of going abroad somewhere and spending a few months getting to know somewhere. I work from home so could support us if we were living very cheaply.

However, we would really like to be part of a community, not just mooching about. Kids will be 3 and 6 and will need some structure. Does anyone have any ideas of how we could do this? DH is a primary teacher (with international experience) so would be happy to teach/volunteer.

We'd love to do something alternative-ish but every avenue I go down (Wwoofing etc) is hampered by the kids. Or lack of WiFi.

OP’s posts: |
diggerdigsdogs Fri 12-Feb-16 14:08:00

Teach ESl in China for 6 months?

ChickyChickyParmParm Fri 12-Feb-16 14:18:17

Been there, done that and would never go back!

Looking for something a bit different. But thanks.

OP’s posts: |
VocationalGoat Fri 12-Feb-16 14:25:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VocationalGoat Fri 12-Feb-16 14:25:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChickyChickyParmParm Fri 12-Feb-16 14:33:35

That's a very bittersweet story, Vocational. Lovely that she was able to spend her last few weeks the way she wanted.

Thailand and Vietnam are on my radar because of the low cost, but I wouldn't know where to start to actually find something in the way of a community/work. There are international schools but we don't want to go down that route. There are volunteer opportunities but they don't seem to accept kids. So looking for something that's a mix of the two, really.

OP’s posts: |
specialsubject Fri 12-Feb-16 17:05:01

what's the visa situation for you?

most volunteering places won't allow dependents.


ChickyChickyParmParm Fri 12-Feb-16 17:56:30

I didn't even think of that! We're all on UK passports but I would guess we'd need volunteering visas or something and yes, you're right - that would probably be tough with dependents.

OP’s posts: |
specialsubject Fri 12-Feb-16 18:00:59

It's not easy for anyone over 30 or with kids.

Thailand as an example will let you in for 30 days visa-on-arrival. if you want longer than that, you need to apply in advance. I think the days of visa runs are over and according to the FCO, the Thais WILL put you in detention if you overstay.

NZ allows Brits to visit for six months but is not Asia-cheap.

ChickyChickyParmParm Fri 12-Feb-16 18:07:00

Will look into that - not sure I'd do so well in a Thai detention centre!

We're living in South America at the moment, maybe it'll be best to network here and see if we can set something up from here.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in