So I let off a cockroach bomb and they are still here!

(13 Posts)
purpleapple1234 Fri 05-Feb-16 11:48:52

How to get rid of cockroaches? We are in australia and I let off two bombs over the whole of the ground floor of our house. The can said that we would be cockroach free for 3 months. Well, surprise surprise, I have found two in the week since I did it. Any suggestions?

Schwabischeweihnachtskanne Fri 05-Feb-16 12:53:27

I opened this thinking you were so desperate to get rid of house guests who were overstaying their welcome that you'd released cockroaches all over your house grin

I remember cockroaches in southern Japan - I think the only way to kill them is to crush them with your full weight, the traps I remember buying didn't seem to achieve much... they are pretty unkillable with pesticides aren't they?

Good luck!

OzzieFem Fri 05-Feb-16 15:23:27

The problem with bombs is that they spray upwards and will coat lower surfaces but do not penetrate into cracks, skirting boards, cupboards etc.

You mentioned using them on the ground floor so I assume you have a double story house. The upper storey, wall cavity and the roof space will still have cockroaches/eggs present. They also like dark, moist areas so you need to check your laundry cupboards under sinks, and your garage if you have one. They also like garden mulch and pet food bowls.

As they can squeeze themselves under flywire doors and under/over your front door even when fully shut you will still find they will get in. Every house probably has some but as they are nocturnal miss seeing them. Suggest you google for different less toxic ways to kill roaches.There is a method of making your own using normal household items.

I hate the large flying ones. Good luck.

partialderivative Fri 05-Feb-16 15:49:12

I thought 'cockroach bomb' was some sort of euphemism for a nasty fart

purpleapple1234 Sat 06-Feb-16 06:44:31

Schwabischeweihnachtskanne and partialderivative ha ha!

Thanks for your suggestions.

ditherydora Sun 07-Feb-16 06:39:45

Kerosene - anywhere the buggers might be. Not very safe probably if you have children - and don't put it on food otherwise everything tastes of it for weeks. But it is what my parents did in the infested flat and it seemed to work

easterlywinds Sun 07-Feb-16 06:47:02

We had a man come in and spray - seemed to do the job and kept spiders and ants away too.

Cornedbeefpie Sun 07-Feb-16 07:06:45

I get the pest control man in every January to do the house and garden. There's no other way to keep your home free of the manky things. They make my skin crawl. As easterly says, it also keeps ants and spiders away.

diggerdigsdogs Sun 07-Feb-16 07:10:29

Yy to routine pest control.

BuyMeAPony Sun 07-Feb-16 07:12:41

We are in Sydney and get the house sprayed annually too. I haven't seen a live cockroach or a spider since we started doing it. The ants seem to come back every so often but the pest company has a guarantee so they just come back and do it again

Auti Sun 07-Feb-16 07:19:32

Diatomaceous Earth: The Natural Roach Killer

Pupsiecola Sun 07-Feb-16 16:06:20

When we lived in Singapore we had a monthly visit from a pest control guy. We were ground floor condo; ugh, remembering being at the bottom of the rubbish chute. Anyway, pest control guy did the trick.

TheAussieProject Sun 07-Feb-16 21:56:20

We are in Sydney, and since putting the bait boxes in the corners of the rooms, I haven't seen any. When we first moved in, we had so many in the kitchen (20 or more per night!!!) I also used for a while the gel you put on the hinges inside the cupboards.
The real estate agent told me they had done the pest control when I complained , but I later discovered it was a DIY job using Aldi's bugs cans!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now